School officials discuss drug abuse

December 13, 2018

As more people become aware of teen drug usage, administrators and school officials want students to be aware of ways they can seek help.  

“We definitely try to be a liaison with whatever the treatment options or if they need counseling or rehab, depending on the severity of the situation,” said Leland Schardt, school social worker. “We are here to support.”  

Assistant Principal Napolean Wade said that the school’s approach to drug-related issues has changed since former student Katie Golden passed away of heroin overdose in 2017. 

“We’ve extended it to the guidance counselors, the teachers and the administrative staff to be more open and accepting to students coming to them, and then talking to the students about this whole snitching police, because that’s what kids are abiding by these days,” Wade said. 

Golden’s mother Dawn shared her story at this year’s Narcotics Overdose and Prevention Education presentation given to sophomores to teach consequences of drug usage. 

Principal Johnny Bush said that it is difficult to completely crack down on drug use in schools.  

“What we are relying on is for people be good role models,” Bush said. “I think the most powerful tool that we have is the tool of kids doing the right thing.”  

Joseph Perno, a doctor at the All Children’s pediatric ER, noted some problems with the current state of care for teen drug abuse.   

“There’s probably more that could be done,” Perno said. “I don’t feel comfortable from that aspect of finding appropriate resources for people because they’re just not out there.”  

Perno said he sees kids come into the emergency room for drug related issues that are typically not a chronic substance abuse problem, but rather related to recreational use. 

“You always run the risk of overdose with drug use, and especially problems resulting from decreased awareness in a drugged state.” Perno said.