Primary+organizers+for+the+%E2%80%9CBreak+the+Silence%E2%80%9D+basketball+game%2C+juniors+Riley+Schofner+and+Heather+Mcgeachy+hold+a+sign+expressing+their+aim+to+%E2%80%9CStop+the+Violence.%E2%80%9D+Also+known+as+%E2%80%9CGet+Loud%E2%80%9D%2C+this+event+requires+the+crowd+to+remain+silent+until+the+9th+point+in+honor+of+domestic+violence+victims.+

Paola Laborda

Primary organizers for the “Break the Silence” basketball game, juniors Riley Schofner and Heather Mcgeachy hold a sign expressing their aim to “Stop the Violence.” Also known as “Get Loud”, this event requires the crowd to remain silent until the 9th point in honor of domestic violence victims.

Students fight for safety

February 26, 2019

Teen combats domestic violence

Q: When did the event take place? 

A: It happened Jan. 17. 

Q: Can you describe what happens during the Get Loud event? 

A: It’s basically a basketball game, and the way we raise awareness for domestic violence is that until the home team scores nine points, the stands are completely silent in honor of domestic violence victims. 

Q: What was the purpose of the event?  

A: To raise awareness for domestic violence. 

Q: Why is this cause significant to you?  

A: I just feel like there’s too much hatred in this world and people don’t deserve to feel unsafe or unloved, especially by people that they know and love. 

Q: What do you hope people get out of this event?  

A: Just a little more compassion and people wanting to change. 

Q: Where do you hope to take this cause in the future? Any future goals? 

A: I think just passing it down, making it grow and bringing all of the schools together, making it more of a community-wide event instead of just a school one. 

Q: What have you taken away from this experience? Have you learned any skills you hope to use in the future? 

A: One skill overall is that you never know what people are going to say when you ask them, because so many people have been so helpful in the process, and it can be scary to ask but as soon as you ask most people are really ready to change. They’re just waiting for someone to start it. 

Q: How would you measure the success of this event? 
A: Just seeing people change and get wowed by the facts that we throw at them and see that they’re understanding it, because half the things said I didn’t even know about. So many people are unaware, and it’s because nobody’s said anything.