Five ways to help you stay motivated while e-learning this year

Going+through+the+second+quarter%2C+E-Learners+may+find+it+challenging+to+self-motivate.+This+list+shows+different+tactics+that+can+help+students+to+stay+persistent+as+we+get+closer+to+the+end+of+the+first+semester.+

Going through the second quarter, E-Learners may find it challenging to self-motivate. This list shows different tactics that can help students to stay persistent as we get closer to the end of the first semester.

Make a list of achievable goals 

Starting each week off with a list of things you hope to accomplish will help you to organize and evaluate your workload. Along with a general list for each week, it will also be beneficial to make one for each day. Canvas compiles a todo list for daily assignments in each class, so as you go through your day, check off everything you finish and do them in the way that works best for you. While going through your list, keep in mind the date an assignment is due and the approximate time it will take you to complete. Creating a list will help you to visually see what needs to get done and, ultimately, help you to feel productive as list gets smaller. 

Take a break 

Do not feel guilty about taking some time to recuperate every so often. Having to stare at a screen for hours on end can feel very draining when trying to learn, but stepping away from screens and even going outside during breaks can help you to refresh before your next assignment. Even in between classes, getting up to stretch or listening to music can ease anxious feelings and restore the energy needed to refocus.  

Find comfort in the support from others  

Whether it is your parent, sibling, friend or classmate, know that you are not going through these changes alone. Being out of the classroom and away from your peers and teachers, may cause you to feel isolated and forced to handle everything by yourself; however, there are many ways to get help and create connections while staying safe. For instance, on Canvas, you can message your classmates for help, create a study group on Zoom, or even study with a small group in an outdoor location. By finding ways to stay connected, you can create a supportive environment for yourself and those around you. 

Discover interests separate from school 

Finding a new pastime or focusing on a hobby can be a good way to make sure you do not get overwhelmed. It is important to devote a great deal of your time to your academics, but it is also important to find new interests that are completely unrelated from school. Even if the interests are short-lived, it is always beneficial to try new things. These things can end up being the activities you look forward to most and keep you pushing throughout the day. 

Allow yourself to feel accomplished 

You do yourself a disservice by ignoring all the effort and long hours you put into your classes. It may feel trivial to acknowledge your hard work on a day-to-day basisbut taking the time to reflect on your achievements (big or small) is a large factor in self-motivation.