Jewish student club changes name

Alexis Perno

Standing in front of club members, guest speaker Daniel Nabatian discusses the importance of Jewish students connecting to their roots. The meeting revealed that Club Chai would be changing its name to the Jewish Student Union Jan. 16.

Over glasses of smoothies, the Jewish Student Union converses ofaith, religion and reformations in their club. As a result of their recent name change, the formerly known Club Chai has joined the ranks of over 200 Jewish clubs in public schools across the nation as JSU.  

“We wanted to be a part of something bigger than just a Jewish club at one school,” sophomore club president Carol Kornworcel said. “With JSU, we’ll be able to do actual programing.”  

JSU is beginning to partake in extramural events to strengthen the club, bring the members closer together and teach about Jewish heritage. Club sponsor Karin Rosin is planning a trip to eastern Europe to visit former concentration camps. 

In addition to trips and activities, the club has been bringing in speakers such as the JSU Orlando City director Daniel NabatianAt their last meeting where the club members made smoothies in the flavor of their choosing, JSU spoke about the holiday that was going on, Tu BiShvat. 

“We’ve already learned a lot so far,” freshman Ari Dolgin said. “Last time we learned some new Hebrew words and did some activities.”   

With the club’s focus shifting towards education, the president and sponsor opened JSU up to students of any faith. 

“JSU is not only for Jewish teens, it’s for non- Jews, too, and people who want to learn about Israel and Judaism,” Kornworcel said. 

Motivating the switch to JSU, not including becoming part of a national organization, was confusion with the old name, Club Chai.  

“I think it’s helpful for the club to have this name change because it will be easier for Jewish students to understand and be able to join,” junior Amanda Weissman said.  

Now part of a nationally- affiliated organization, rather than an independent school club, members are adapting to their new goals and updated status.  

“People are really excited about the changes,” sophomore Chloe Mezrah said. “We all like talking to speakers and about the religion.” 

New objectives for JSU include more people joining the club, interactive activities and going on the trip planned by Rosin. 

“I think the club will continue to grow,” Rosin said. “Already there’s a revived energy and new people.”