A cappella group sings for empowerment, sisterhood

Back to Article
Back to Article

As next season of Pink Panthers approaches, the girls are getting ready to begin the audition process as well as prepare and organize for it. Pink Panthers started three years ago and is fully led by the girls. 

Isabella Ank

Isabella Ank

Isabella Ank

Jordyn Lutz, Staff Writer

Pink Panthers took the stage for a competition in Durham, North Carolina, singing their girl-powered solider-themed arrangements just in time for International Women’s Month. The girls have worked hard together this a cappella season. 

“We are like a band of sisters,” senior Elizabeth Bado said. “It’s definitely been an amazing experience with all these girls, and I wouldn’t change a thing.”  

Pink Panthers started three years ago and is fully led by the girls. They set up all their rehearsals, music, arrangements, auditions and planning. This season they sang the song “Salute” for competition. 

“I really wanted it to be student-led,” choral director Bruce Yost said. “I wanted the students to have ownership of it. I wanted them to choose their music. I wanted them to have a say in who’s in their group and to be responsible for their rehearsals and their preparation. I’m more like a club sponsor.” 

They have the entirety of eighth period to practice, but sometimes that is not enough – especially when shows and competitions are coming up.  

“Once we get back from winter break, it’s consistent rehearsals and especially after Rick’s Café, the week or two before competition, we have after school rehearsals,” senior Alex Cheatam said. “We come on the weekends sometimes.” 

They have many performances throughout the year. In addition to preforming at international competitions, they perform at school events, such as Madrigals, Rick’s Café, Prelude and Panther Prowl. They also sang at a Plant High School reunion for the Class of ‘62.  

“The most rewarding part is getting to share our music and to see people’s reactions,” junior Celia Brown said. “It’s especially rewarding because we work so hard.”  

Pink Panthers has a mix of all skill levels and there are 12 girls in the group. 

“It’s taught me how to work with others, how to be compassionate and a team member, how to have patience and how to have fun,” freshman Regan McGarry said. “Being a freshman isn’t that much of a deal. Everyone thinks about everyone’s ideas and opinions and everyone listens.” 

As next season of Pink Panthers approaches, the girls are getting ready to begin the audition process as well as prepare and organize for it. Auditions will be held April 9-10.  

“This is like my family, and they brought me out of my shell,” Brown said. “This is my favorite thing about high school.”