Students perform spring musical

Theatre Troupe 0817 performed the spring musical “The Drowsy Chaperone” from April 4-6 in the auditorium.  

“A show ending is always a bitter-sweet feeling, there is that euphoria of ‘I don’t have to go to rehearsal anymore,’ but the fact that they were so fantastic and just seeing the happiness on the faces of the kids and the parents and their families is just awesome,” theater teacher Dan Franke said. “But every time a show is over, because you put so much effort into it, there is that hole which needs to get refilled again.” 

The show is about a record that the character the Man in Chair, portrayed by sophomore Cameron Summitt, plays that comes to life. This was Summitt’s first leading role played for a show.  

At first, playing this character was really scary because I had to think about how I would have to do stuff by myself on stage, which is crazy for the first time, but when I was memorizing my lines, I got more into character and I was like ‘woah, this is going to be fun and pretty easy,’” Summitt said. 

Characters like a self-proclaimed Spanish King of Romance, a drunk chaperone, and a celebrity giving up her life of fame for marriage are seen throughout the show. Senior Nathan Patterson played Aldolpho, the King of Romance.  

“Playing this character was very uncomfortable because it’s not who I am, but also I had a lot of fun with it because he is a really funny character,” Patterson said. “Being the first time I ever had to do something like this and the first time I had to memorize a lot of stuff while dancing and singing in front of people was very nerve-racking, which was way out of my comfort zone, but I managed to do it.”  

Freshmen Gianna Angeletti and Andrew Edwards worked the lights and microphones booth for The Drowsy Chaperone. 

“It feels amazing, Angeletti said. “When you first do it, it’s kind of stressful in a way because you have to learn a lot of different queues and a lot of different names for everything, but once you do it, it feels like weight is lifted off your shoulders,” Angeletti said.  

Drowsy Chaperone’s student director was junior Mattea Muench, who made sure the characters were played correctly and everyone understood their positions.  

I am so proud of the hard work that everyone, cast and crew, put in,” Muench said. “My goal was to help the actors connect with their characters and really tell the story while still nailing comedic timing and the humor of the show, and I do feel I achieved it since the actors were hilarious but still fully engaged with their characters.”