Teachers lead summer trips

Used with Permission from Wikimedia Commons
This summer, many different teachers are leading trips to famous historical sites in countries around Europe, such as Italy, France, Spain and more. They will tour sites such as the Colosseum, Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel.

Italy and Spain 

AP Art History teacher William Renninger and AP World History teacher Samantha Bennett are offering a summer trip to students to learn in cities around Europe.  

“I really enjoy doing these trips, because the students get to see in person all of the art works and architecture we’ve been studying over the course of the year,” Renninger said.  

They plan to visit historical cities such as Rome, Italy, Barcelona and more. They will tour sites such as the Colosseum, Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel.  

“I think it makes the experience better when the kids actually know the history of these places we’re going to,” Bennett said. “It’s educational, but it’s definitely fun for us too.” 

Italy and France 

Best Buddies club sponsor and teacher Caroline Medina is planning a summer trip for students to Europe.  

“This is a really fun trip for my kids,” Medina said. “Not everyone does it, but those that do say that it’s one of their favorite experiences.” 

The trip is nine days long, and they plan to visit many historical landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre in Paris, France and the Colosseum in Rome, Italy.  

France 

French teachers Marilyn Coffey and Denise Ankudowich are sponsoring a summer tour to France from June 1-9.  

“Traveling and actually going to Paris is a great way for the kids to see what another culture is like,” Coffey said.  

In Paris, they plan to tour the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, the Louvre and Champs-Élysées.  

They also plan to visit World War II sites and the American Cemetary Colleville Sur-mer in Normandy, and the Castles of the Loire Valley, the St. Malo seaside and Mont St. Michel.  

“This is a good opportunity for some to practice speaking French and see how much they know or realize how much they don’t know,” Ankudowich said. 

Germany, Czechia, Poland and Hungary  

World language teacher Karen Rosin is organizing and leading a summer trip with Yohanis Carrera for her students to Eastern Europe from June 1-9, 2020.  

“Over the course of the year, I teach my students as much as I can about different cultures, but this gives them the chance to see it and be involved in it in real life,” Rosin said.  

They plan to travel to different historical and architectural sites in Berlin, Prague, Krakow and Budapest for about 10 days. Some landmarks they are going to tour include the Brandenburger gate, the East Side Gallery and the church of Saint Mary Magdalene.  

“I want my students to be as exposed to different cultures as possible,” Carrera said. “I think it’s good for them to learn about how other people in other parts of the world live.” 

Ireland and England 

English teacher Shay Cowart is organizing and leading a program to Ireland and England for upcoming juniors in June of 2020. 

“I feel that having juniors come is the best because within a year, they will be heading off to explore at the university or college level, so exploring other countries is a good transition for them to explore the rest of their lives,” Cowart said.  

The trip will be visiting sites and cities like Oxford University, London, Dublind and many more. This trip is centered on literature and food while visiting the Urban and English England and Ireland. 

“I think it’s very approachable because students have more individual time on their own and there isn’t a language barrier. I also travel in a small group with a lot of freedom for the students, and no language barrier gives the ability for that freedom,” Cowart said.