Valentine’s Day Pro-Con

February 13, 2020

Valentine’s Day: a lame excuse to spread love

Nicole Prus
Whether you’re single or taken, Valentine’s Day is pointless to celebrate. People should just do whatever makes them happy on that day not what companies and movies promote them to do. Photo courtesy of Pixabay.

Valentine’s Day is supposed to be a holiday filled with love, but instead it is a day filled with stress and pressure trying to impress your significant other. This holiday sets an expectation for people to prove to others how much they love them. Why can’t you prove how much you love someone on any day of the year?  

Valentine’s Day is a consumerism trap. Many companies promote to consumers that the more you spend on a person the more they will love you. That is awful advice to follow.  

People should love you for you, not for your gifts. If they love you only for the expensive presents you give them then that just shows that they are materialistic. Materialism is very unattractive quality when choosing a significant other.  

It makes no sense that you have buy your girlfriend/boyfriend chocolates and flowers on Feb. 14. Why can’t you buy flowers for them on any day of the year to cheer them up and show that you’re thinking about them? 

It’s unsettling to see people obsess over making this day so special for their significant other. People stress over finding the perfect romantic restaurant, gift etc. They plan everything to the last detail. The only thing that should matter is the company you provide for each other. 

This holiday can be miserable for people who are single. Single people can’t escape from seeing couples kissing, holding hands and hugging everywhere they go on this day.  

However, single people could to choose to hide at home and watch Netflix until the day is finally over to distract themselves of their feelings of loneliness.  

This day serves as a reminder to single people that they are alone. Some people before Valentine’s Day make sure they have someone to spend it with them because the thought of being alone scares them, making them settle for someone who they really aren’t attracted to. 

There are single people out there who treat themselves with buying themselves gifts on this holidayIt’s good to have a self-care day on Valentine’s Day because before you give others your love, you must first love yourself. 

Whether you’re single or taken, Valentine’s Day is pointless to celebrate. People should just do whatever makes them happy on that day not what companies and movies promote them to do.