Boys basketball falls to Alonso

Looking+at+the+defender%2C+junior+point+guard+Jean+Luma+prepares+to+take+a+shot.+The+boys+basketball+team+was+defeated+by+Alonso+High+School+in+their+second+game+of+the+season.+

Kate Caranante

Looking at the defender, junior point guard Jean Luma prepares to take a shot. The boys’ basketball team was defeated by Alonso High School in their second game of the season.

After keeping it close in the first half, the boys’ basketball team let the lead get further out of reach in the second half, giving Alonso a 58-43 victory in the first district game of the season.

“The most significant thing we believe we can improve on as a team is reducing our fouling in the second half of our games so that our opponents won’t be able to stay with us with points from the free throw line,” senior Matthew Maney said. “This can easily be done by making sure everyone is in the right spots defensively so that we can minimize the number of fouls during the rest of the game.”

The boys are currently in fourth place in their district with an 0-2 record, but both of their losses have been competitive. They lost their first game of the season versus Robinson High School by just three points.

“I think my team’s biggest strength is our camaraderie,” Maney said. “Since we have been playing together since August, we have a pretty good sense of each other’s strengths and weaknesses. We are also there for each other no matter the outcome of any game, and there is a family type bond among my teammates characterized by positive encouragement and moving onto the next play regardless of what previously happened.”

The boys’ next game will be another district game on Friday, Dec. 11 at Steinbrenner High School. Steinbrenner is currently ranked fifth in Class 7A District 7, with a record of 3-4.

“So far my favorite part of the season has been watching the younger guys step into their roles on the team with little to no prior experience,” Maney said. “Because there is a smaller number of seniors this year, the juniors and sophomores have been asked to fill some roles on our team, and they have done an excellent job so far on both sides of the court.”