Outdoorsmen Alliance forages for members

Junior Mark Gauthier displays the fish he caught on a recreational fishing trip. An interest in hobbies, such as fishing, inspired Gauthier to create the Plant Outdoorsmen Alliance.

Mark Gauthier

As students settle into new classes and resume participation in extracurricular activities, school clubs are preparing for the year. While many club names are familiar on applications, the Plant Outdoorsmen Alliance is brand-new this year at Plant.

The Outdoorsmen Alliance was founded by junior Mark Gauthier, who is now president of the organization.

“The Plant Outdoorsmen Alliance values conservation, outdoor education, and passing on our traditions to others,” Gauthier said.

Gauthier and Vice President Stratton Patterson, junior, are planning events for club members to participate in this year. Ideas for club-sponsored outings include an opening barbeque on Sunday Sept . 28 at Hillsborough River State Park.

“Well, since freshman year, Mark and I have been discussing ways to start a club for students who like being outdoors and doing things like hunting and fishing. As the Vice President, I help Mark, the founder, with planning events and even outings for the club,” Patterson said.

The Outdoorsmen Alliance anticipates a wide variety of opportunities for interested club members. “We are working on getting the club into fishing and archery tournaments and camping outings. We have a few seminars planned with professional hunters and fishermen,” Patterson said.

Club sponsor Richard Ferlita, math teacher, shares the board’s enthusiasm for the future of the club. “There are a tremendous amount of students who enjoy the outdoors at Plant. I’m most excited to just share the knowledge about hunting and fishing that I’ve acquired in the more than forty years of experience that I have,” Ferlita said.

Ferlita hopes that the club will benefit Plant and serve as a way for both male and female students to gain an appreciation for the outdoors. He hopes the club will provide opportunities for students who have never tried some of the club’s activities before to gain some experiences. “I’ve been hunting and fishing my entire life. It’s my entire lifestyle. I feel I’d be a good mentor to these kids,” Ferlita said.

Ferlita also mentioned possible involvement from assistant principal David Webb, who has experience with scuba diving and camping.

“Our goal is to unify our student members, provide them with outdoor-related opportunities, and educate them about the outdoors. During our first year, we are very excited about getting this club off the ground and the great events we have scheduled,” Gauthier said.

The Outdoorsmen Alliance has a Facebook (Plant Outdoorsmen Alliance) and Twitter (@POAPlant) to inform students interested in learning about club activities.