Ms. Hellenberg- The New Principal

Ms.+Hellenburg%2C+on+the+right%2C+is+standing+next+to+former+principal%2C+Mr.+Bush.+He+welcomes+the+new+school+year+with+an+open+mindset+and+hopes+she+will+carry+the+school+as+well+as+his+reputation.+The+students+of+Plant+have+high+hopes+for+the+principal%2C+and+look+forward+to+her+beginning+as+the+new+leader+of+the+team.+

Mia Carper

Ms. Hellenburg, on the right, is standing next to former principal, Mr. Bush. He welcomes the new school year with an open mindset and hopes she will carry the school as well as his reputation. The students of Plant have high hopes for the principal, and look forward to her beginning as the new leader of the team.

Ms. Hellenberg is the new principal at Plant High School, and she’s ready to start the school year strong. Going into her 34th year of teaching where she feels at home, the students are prepared to see what she has in store for them as their top administrator. Read along to learn some of her plans for the year and get to know her a little more.  

Q: How many schools have you worked at?

A: “I have worked at five schools.”

Q: Which was your favorite and why?

A: “I wouldn’t say I have a favorite, but I’ve had different responsibilities at Plant, like being a coach, a PE teacher, assistant principal of student affairs, assistant principal of curriculum, and now a principal. So, I guess you could say I’m pretty happy here.” 

Q: How many years have you been working at Plant? 

A: “I have worked at Plant for 33 years, this is my 34th.”

Q: What and how have your responsibilities based on the change of position at Plant changed?

A: “Being assistant principal of curriculum, focusing more on the school’s curriculum, scheduling the teachers, and taking care of testing. This year, I oversee a lot more. It’s like I’m the team’s coach, and then I have captains of the team that the assistant principals play the role. Ultimately it all ends on my lap.” 

Q: What inspired you to pursue a career in education? 

A: “I’m a problem solver, so just my personality. I like kids, so working with kids and trying to get the best out of kids has always been my goal.” 

Q: What are your plans to improve the school? 

A: “I want to ensure our students are here to own a diploma and that we tighten up the reigns. However, the goal is to work together and ensure all parts of the team are working together. Making sure we’re doing what’s in the best interest of our child, individually. We try to take every student, look from their perspective, and see what they need.” 

Q: If you were to give a piece of advice to every student that attends Plant, what would you tell the students? 

A: “Hopefully, they will make memories here and make sure that they are giving it their best because they only have four years in high school. They only have one try at it. Tell them to do their best, have fun, and get involved.”