Arlie Rubin- From Plant to Georgetown

Posing+then+and+now%2C+a+former+Plant+High+School+student%2C+Arlie%2C+shares+about+her+experience+at+Georgetown+University.+Now%2C+after+spending+4+years+at+Plant+High+School%2C+Rubin+just+finished+her+first+semester+at+Georgetowns+Business+school.+

Luka Vaicekauskas

Posing then and now, a former Plant High School student, Arlie, shares about her experience at Georgetown University. Now, after spending 4 years at Plant High School, Rubin just finished her first semester at Georgetown’s Business school.

Arlie Rubin, a PHS’ 22 graduate, is a current student at Georgetown University. Studying at a rigorous and selective school in the heart of Washington D.C. is an accomplishment worth noting, but with the rigorous and involved schedule Rubin maintained while at Plant, the acceptance letter was merely a surprise. In this interview, Rubin shared her most memorable moments at Barnard, tips for future applicants, as well as throwbacks to her high school years at Plant.  

Tell me a little bit about your experience at Plant. What clubs or other activities you were part of, etc.  Any athletic activities you took part in? 

“At Plant, my biggest involvement was Best Buddies- I did that from 6th grade all the way up to my senior year in high school and was president my last year. That really shaped my high school experience and changed my outlook in life, all the aspects on morality, the lessons I learned, and all the foundations of friendship- that was the center of my high school career extracurriculars. I would also say that Track and Cross Country played a really big role in my high school experience- it was like being in a big family with a lot of girls and that was really special and taught me a lot. I was member of a couple of the honor societies, I was also the co-founder and one of the presidents for S.A.V.E (Students Against Violence Everywhere). It’s really important to balance yourself on how to choose to involve yourself in high school,” Rubin said. 

What teachers inspired you most? 

“Mrs. Medina, who is the Bed Buddied teacher really inspired me- working with her and seeing how much she loved what she did which was very special and reminds you that you want to love what you do. Mr. Thomas and Mrs. Cowart are great people, and the way they cared about their students and loved their class was something I took into college and what-not. Teachers are there for a reason, they care about you and care about how you are doing,” Rubin said. 

How did you decide that Georgetown was a place to be? 

“I applied early decision to a different school- Vanderbilt, and I was deferred and then denied, so ultimately at that time I was choosing between Georgetown and UVA, and have been waitlisted at Harvard, which made those schools still in the mix. But the values that Georgetown promoted and the way it is situated in DC is full of opportunities and connections. But for me it was just the geographical location, whether Charlottesville or DC, and all the opportunities that I could have while studying in the capitol. So many great people come and talk at Georgetown, like just a few weeks ago I saw Mike Pence, which I think really brings value to my college experience. I was really drawn to the diversity and all the room to grow while studying there,” Rubin said. 

How was the application process to apply to Georgetown? 

“Georgetown is very different because it is not on the Common Application , which I think is why a lot of kids, especially from the South because there aren’t as many kids at the school from we are from- it is very dominated by the Northeast and international students. So it’s on a different applications, which can deter a lot of kids, but it is still worth it. For one of them, you apply to the school you want to go into but that shouldn’t be a stress. Like I already switched from eh school of Arts and Sciences into the Business school before I started, but basically you apply, write 3-4 essays, one of them being a personal statement, which is the same one you write for the Common App, the other one is specific to the school you apply to, so when I transferred to the Business School, I had to write a new essay. And then there are 1-2 more essays which are more general. There is also an interview,” Rubin said. 

What do you think stood out in your application? 

“As far as what stood out in my application- I really don’t think you can know what gets you into the school, as it’s almost like a lottery these days. But as far as what you can do, is to care about what you are involved in, which shows in the essays and interview- for me, I think the interview was really helped me in a lot of cases, because that way they can see your character, the person you are and the way you interact with other people. And for me I think that really helped me the most, because I am truly a people person. Find connections with the school, if there is one that you really want to- and that also shows in the way you care about the school and have done your research, and looked into eh things that you think would be a good fit for you specific to the school you are applying to,” Rubin said. 

What are you studying at Georgetown? 

“I am in the Business school right now. I went in thinking I wanted to study International Political Economy and Business, and have already switched, and now looking into Finance and Management. It’s so important to take classes and figure it out along the way and now in college I feel very informed and learning about the real world which is really important,” Rubin said. 

How is your ultimate experience at Georgetown? What is your favorite part about it? 

“My favorite part about Georgetown is definitely the people. I really do think I could have been happy in a lot of places, but I am super lucky that I have found amazing friends, and it is so fun to live with your best friends, and being in a new place. Obviously I miss the warm weather, I hate the cold up there, but it is so fun to be someplace new and try new things, and feel very independent but you are doing it with all your best friends,” Rubin said.  

What is one tip you would give someone applying to Georgetown? 

“Be true to yourself and what you care about, and make sure that your character shows through int eh things you choose to present about yourself to colleges. Make sure your involvements reflect your character and what you want others to take away from you. My best advice for clubs in high school is to do what you are interested in- don’t be in 50 different clubs if you don’t actually care about the message or mission of them. Because the only way you will be able to speak and learn from them is only if you have a connection with them and care about the mission and work that they are doing. I think this is what made my high school involvements so impactful- because I genuinely had a connection and cared about the mission and the message behind every club,” Rubin said.