Kate Bentley Gets Accepted to Princeton

Senior+Kate+Bentley+is+pictured+doing+what+she+loves+most%2C+participating+in+anything+towards+law+and+government.+Bentley+was+accepted+in+one+of+the+top+schools+in+America%2C+Princeton+University%2C+setting+milestones+many+Plant+students+wish+to+make+as+they+go+through+high+school.++

Emma Kuschmeider

Senior Kate Bentley is pictured doing what she loves most, participating in anything towards law and government. Bentley was accepted in one of the top schools in America, Princeton University, setting milestones many Plant students wish to make as they go through high school.

With a 4% acceptance and chartered in 1746, Princeton University is one of the most well-known and most rigorous schools in America. However, for Plant senior Kate Bentley, those grounds were passed, and she was accepted to Princeton back in December 15 for the early action round.  

“It all begins with my brother, a current math major at Princeton. My family and I went to Princeton many times to see him,” Bentley said. “Each visit, I spent time in town and on campus: grabbing hot chocolate in Small World Coffee, browsing books at Labyrinth, or doing homework in Firestone library. The time I spent on campus, the more I wanted to go there myself. I just fell in love with everything about Princeton.” 

Kate Bentley is a well-known student around Plant as she takes on multiple board positions in honor societies, being second violin leader of the Plant Chamber Orchestra, co-captain of the Mock Trial team, President of Model United Nations, Hub Leader of Tampa Sunrise Climate Action, member of the Tampa Bay History Center Teen Council, and a volunteer at Cornerstone Ministries Community Garden.  

“My biggest time commitment is definitely mock trial,” Bentley said. “We spend every Wednesday afternoon at the courthouse, often working late into the evening. We also have practices every Saturday morning from nine to noon, and those often run late as well. Though the practices are long, they are the highlight of each week. Sitting around, eating pizza, and arguing with my best friends about an alleged murder is my idea of a good time. Mock trial is the club I will miss the most next year.”  

Currently, Princeton University ranks number one out of 443 National Universities according to US News. Some of the most popular majors at Princeton include Social Sciences, Engineering, Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services, Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Physical Sciences, History, Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics.  

“Well, I didn’t just decide to apply to every Ivy League school, it was more about compatibility with specific schools regardless of their rankings (which are totally arbitrary by the way),” Bentley said. “I found a wide range of schools that had programs that I was interested in; some big, some small, some public, some private, some in-state, some out-of-state. I hoped to get into some of the more selective schools, but I knew that I would be happy everywhere that I applied.” 

For a look at the many things Kate Bentley is involved in, click these links and even get involved yourself:  

https://instagram.com/plantmocktrial?igshid=YWJhMjlhZTc= 

https://instagram.com/phsmun?igshid=YWJhMjlhZTc=