Class of 2024 Cruising Through Their Senior Year

On+Thursday%2C+Aug.+10%2C+the+new+school+year+began+in+Hillsborough+County%2C+and+the+last+year+of+high+school+for+the+class+of+2024.+To+celebrate+the+beginning+of+a+new+year%2C+seniors+dressed+up+in+biker+or+surfer+outfits+following+the+motto+%E2%80%9Cchoose+your+side+%26+cruise+through+senior+year.%E2%80%9D+++%0A%0A+
Luka Vaicekauskas
On Thursday, Aug. 10, the new school year began in Hillsborough County, and the last year of high school for the class of 2024. To celebrate the beginning of a new year, seniors dressed up in biker or surfer outfits following the motto “choose your side & cruise through senior year.”

On Thursday, Aug. 10, the new school year began in Hillsborough County. However, what does that mean for the seniors?   

To name a few- college searches, standardized testing, college applications, college essays, and scholarship searches. But putting the stressful deadlines aside, there are exciting activities exclusive to seniors to look forward to; senior nights at sporting events, senior prom, Senior Scavenger Hunt, and Senior Sunrise are a couple of the anticipated events.    

And on Aug. 10, an item on the “Senior Bucket List” was checked off- Senior Sunrise. Senior Sunrise is typically a bonding activity where the class celebrates the beginning of senior year of high school together and, in many cases, dress appropriately to a theme.   

The theme voted on the Instagram class page @phsco.24 was Bikers vs. Surfers, following the motto “choose your side & cruise through senior year.”   

“I thought the theme was very fun and the Executive Board did a good job in choosing it. We were really locked in,” senior Dawson Faulkner said.    

After numerous pictures, Hawaiian shirts, and leather jackets, the senior lot emptied as the first bell rang. However, suchbrought nostalgic memories as the seniors walked Plants’ hallways for the last first time in four years. As first-year students passed, they reminded the class of 2024 how they were in their shoes too.    

“Don’t be afraid to branch out to more people! There are times where if I’d been just a bit bolder, I could have reached out and made friends that weren’t necessarily a part of my regular friend group. The couple of times I did decide to branch out, I had no regrets and have made some of my best friends to this say!” senior Emily Mangione said. 

But as the stressful deadlines pass and the year becomes slightly less intense, seniors anticipate certain activities that will make the last year of high school standout, in frequent cases, what the outcome will be of the anticipated future goals, or not surprisingly, the feeling of walking past the podium to receive the diploma- proof of the hard work, dedication, and ambition.    

“On top of all the sun senior festivities like Water Wars and Senior Scavenger Hunt, I’m really looking forward to all of the football games and the fun themes Gold Rush announced” senior Sarah Wicks said.