Town Hall 2023

Dan
Whether you are a new or returning student, or even a parent, I am sure you have some unanswered questions regarding the new school year. At the yearly town hall meeting, the Plant High School staff addressed some of these questions. For students, or parents with lingering questions, in an Interview with Phil Morris, the assistant principal of curriculum, he discloses more information regarding the town hall meeting.

On Aug. 15-18, we marked our yearly PHS town hall meeting for grades 9-12. The PHS staff has been working diligently to prepare for the 2023 school year, and after working hard, they reviewed their ideas at the town hall meeting. Despite the topics varying by grade, if you were like me and half-awake, here is the general sum of what you missed during the presentation.

In an Interview with Phil Morris, the assistant principal of curriculum, he revealed more about the meeting and the available information.

Q: What are the most important things students should prepare for this year?

A: “That’s a great question. The first thing students need to do is show up, right? I would say attendance needs to be a priority for every student. Research shows that the more days a student is absent, there is a direct correlation to a decline in their student achievements.”

Q: How can students get their schedules changed? Is there a date they should have those requests in by?

A: “The guidance department, the Student Services Department, has a schedule change for where all the information is on there, but at this point, there are not many schedule changes that should be taking place. The only things that would have been changed would be an error on the schedule.”

Q: What do you think is the best way for students to stay up to date on school events?

A: “Well, the number one way is to check canvas. There are a lot of announcements that are made, and each student should have access to them. A lot of essential information is being shared through Canvas, but just talking with your teachers about any questions you might have been a good idea.”

If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to contact your guidance counselor at the main office for extra help.