Plant Football Tackles the First Home Game

The+Panthers+offensive+line+prepares+to+set+the+play+into+play.+The+final+score+of+the+game+came+out+to+31-24%2C+Berkeley+Buccaneers+win.+
Bella Johnson
The Panthers offensive line prepares to set the play into play. The final score of the game came out to 31-24, Berkeley Buccaneers win.

On Saturday, Sept. 2nd, the Plant Panther’s varsity football team took on the Berkeley Buccaneers. The game started at 7:30 pm and it was the second Panther game of the season.  

The first quarter opened up with Berkeley receiving for the first half. The first couple drives on both sides led to zero-point gain. No score was made on either team. 

Berkeley made the first score of the game with a touchdown shortly into the second quarter. Plant quickly responded with a touchdown soon after, leaving the score at 7-7. The score remained this into halftime. 

Quarterback, JC Mirasola, reflected on the game in an interview.  

“My favorite play of the game was when we were on the goal line and I handed the ball off to Chase. We did the Gorilla celebration because that was the play.” 

Mirasola stated that he felt that he could improve as a player and leader on the field.

Quarter three started out with Plant running a 60-year touchdown, giving the Panther’s their first lead of the game, leaving the score at 14-7, Panthers. Berkeley answered their next possession, leaving the score at 14-14. Within the quarter, Berkeley added another seven points on board, and Plant only added three, leaving the score at 21-17, Berkeley. 

The final quarter was a constant defensive game; however, Berkeley received another touchdown as well as a field goal, leaving the score at 31-17. Plant responded with one more touchdown but could not clutch the win. The final score was 1-24, Berkeley win.  

The Panther’s current record for the season is 0-2, and their next game is against King High School at Dad’s Stadium. 

Below is the ticket link for the upcoming game, found on Hillsborough County Public Schools website.  

https://www.hillsboroughschools.org/domain/2455