Tips for College Applications

+%0A%0ACollege+application+deadlines+are+rapidly+approaching+for+seniors%2C+so+it+is+time+to+start+writing+the+personal+essay%2C+book+meetings+with+the+college+counselor%2C+and+fill+out+Common+App.+Keep+reading+for+more+helpful+tips.+
EMILY
College application deadlines are rapidly approaching for seniors, so it is time to start writing the personal essay, book meetings with the college counselor, and fill out Common App. Keep reading for more helpful tips.

As fall is approaching, so are college application deadlines. This process can be very stressful for seniors because they have to submit applications and maintain good grades in their high school classes. The good news is that there are many ways to make the process smoother and ensure everything gets turned in before the deadline. 

#1- Get a College Counselor 

Even though PHS has a college resource counselor, Mrs. Moseley, it can be difficult to make appointments and get one-on-one time with her because the entire senior class is trying to do the same thing. Therefore, booking a private college counselor is an excellent decision. This person will read over the college essay, review the application process, ensure all the appropriate work is submitted on time, and answer any questions the student might have.  

#2- Do Not Wait Until the Last Minute 

Procrastinating the essay and all the follow-up questions required by the college is the most significant factor that negatively impacts students. The application workload is stressful, and it is easy to say, “I’ll do it later.” However, this mindset will eventually catch up to the students and leave them scrambling to submit everything the night before it is due. This is a problem because, depending on the college, they will return the application to the student with more sections to fill out, which will not be possible the night before the deadline. 

#3- Eliminate Distractions 

Getting work done in a loud and busy environment can be challenging. The college application process is very long and tiresome, requiring the student’s full attention. It can be helpful to shut off your phone and turn off the TV when working. Also, being distracted can lead the student to make mistakes and fill sections out incorrectly.  

#4- Book Appointments Early 

Before submitting the application, it is beneficial to have a guidance counselor and a college counselor review the entire thing to ensure it is completed correctly. Not only will the counselor ensure everything is completed, but they will also give feedback on changes that would improve the application and increase your chances of getting into the school.  

#5- Do Not Put Off Taking the SAT/ACT 

Most schools seek a high SAT or ACT score unless the college is test-optional. The full Bright Futures scholarship requires a 29 on the ACT and a 1340 on the SAT. It can be challenging to receive a desired score the first time you take the test; that’s why ensuring there are enough opportunities to retake the test is essential. Many students take the test at least three times before they achieve their goal score. 

Click here to read more about Bright Futures. 

https://www.floridastudentfinancialaidsg.org/SAPBFMAIN/SAPBFMAIN