Plant High School Honors 22nd Anniversary of 9/11 Terrorist Attacks

2%2C977+American+Flags+are+put+on+display+at+the+front+entrance+of+Plant+High+School.+To+honor+all+the+lives+lost+in+the+9%2F11+terrorist+attacks%2C+students+and+faculty+at+the+school+gather+annually+to+set+up+the+display.++
Sydney Appleton
2,977 American Flags are put on display at the front entrance of Plant High School. To honor all the lives lost in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, students and faculty at the school gather annually to set up the display.

On Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist groups hijacked commercial flights and crashed them into various buildings across the United States, killing thousands and impacting all Americans. This week marks the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and Plant High School is honoring the lives lost that day.  

Office buildings in New York City, the Pentagon in Washington D.C., and a vacant field in rural Pennsylvania were where the hijacked planes crashed, leaving thousands of people in these areas dead. The two buildings that were hit in bustling Manhattan were known as the Twin Towers. After being crashed into by two aircrafts, they collapsed, leaving two of New York City’s most populated office buildings completely gone. Slightly south in D.C., the headquarters of the United States Department of Defense, commonly known as the Pentagon, was not fully destroyed, but suffered great damage. In Pennsylvania, no buildings were hit, but the crash into the field left all passengers on board the aircraft dead. This flight was headed towards the U.S. capitol building which could have created even more fatal chaos.  

These events were extremely historical for the United States. Such a tragedy was like nothing else the nation had ever experienced. Because of this, Plant High School recognizes the day each year. Students and administrators work together to place approximately 2,977 American flags in the school’s front entrance. Each flag is meant to represent a life that was lost in the attacks.   

This is the sixth year that Plant High School has participated in this recognition. Typically, volunteers from various grade levels, as well as educators from the school, gather on the night before the anniversary to set up the flags, allowing all Plant Panthers to view the arrangement, reflect on the tragedy, and honor the day as they walk into the building.  

Now that it is 2023, none of the current high school students at Plant High School were alive when the attacks happened, making the school’s memorial that much more important. The flags give students some perspective on just how many people died and how tragic 9/11 was for our nation, allowing them to honor the lives lost and recognize the tragic, historical event.  

In following years, the school plans to continue to honor the tradition of setting up the display of flags so that younger grades will continue to honor, commemorate, and recognize the significance of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Although the events were 22 years ago, the nation will never forget the day. Many lives may be gone, but they will live on in the hearts of every Plant Panther. 

To learn more about the 9/11 attacks, as well as the memorial’s and museums set up in honor of the lives lost that day, visit the link below.

https://www.911memorial.org/