Time necessary to effectively judge Common Core

With new standards for education entering the classroom, critics of Common Core must give sufficient time for the sparkling new program to diffuse into local schools.

More stories from Bennett Taylor

New York gathered the results; little changed. Only 30 percent of students passed testing for proficiency in English language arts in the spring of 2014, given in accordance with Common Core standards.

Educators around the country harshly criticized the program as an attempt at a national curriculum, with government intention of taking over the country’s education system.

Meanwhile, people continue to actively destroy and oppose Common Core. Such people must learn to take a break, and truly understand the new standards.

This system must go through a trial period in order to gauge its worth and impact.

People considered inferior by their peers talk without thinking, without prior knowledge. Research facts so the proper arguments against Common Core can effectively, and properly, be introduced by the general populus.

Several states, including Texas and Alaska, denied Common Core standards in their home states, rather keeping state systems that utilize their own education testing system to rank and prepare students.

Done correctly, students coming out of these states will perform equally in their schooling, compared against national and international students.

Meanwhile, residents of the Tampa Bay area continually bash and oppose the relatively new standards. Politicians advertise their opposition to it; parents create positions and call for its denial in Florida.

How can a system, so infant and naive in nature, battle so bitterly with opposers? This system must go through a trial period in order to gauge its worth and impact.

Unfortunately, students around the country struggle against international students, as intense math and science systems in other countries simply blow U.S. students away in terms of college success and workforce employment.

In response to this, a group of state governors and state education chiefs created the Common Core standards, a system of prerequisites for students from K-12, which will prepare students for success in college and in the workforce.

In addition to preparing students for the next education level, these standards seek to aid students who move to other states. In the past, some educators quickly discover that transfers either lie dramatically below or exceptionally high than the system in place at their schools. With Common Core, these standards will help students who move to remain roughly equal in their education with students in other states.

Ideals of Common Core greatly benefit a struggling American education system, but struggle to effectively work in a large majority of states.

Since Common Core encompasses almost every state, implementing these policies will cause issues; yet, time and results will determine the system’s effectiveness.

Community residents and officials must resist the urge to quickly judge and harm Common Core. Without interruptions, the system will work out kinks, and truly show its worth.

Give it time.