All Things Go Festival Review

Amelia Knust
Last weekend, Washington D.C. held one of its most popular festivals, All Things Go, filled with mainly indie-pop and alternative artists. Read more to see a recap of day 2 of the festival!

For fans of music festivals and concerts, it may be hard to find events that satisfy every niche of your music taste. However,  All Things Go delivered one of the best modern festival lineups in ages with their seamless shows in Columbia, Maryland’s Merriweather Post Pavillion. With almost every act being either female, queer, or both, I had never seen a better lineup in my life. I had the pleasure of attending Day 2 of this star-studded showcase, with headlining acts of Lana Del Rey and Boygenius. I can still remember the day the artist lineup dropped this past April, and I was shocked at how many of my favorite artists would be attending the shows. Therefore, when I got the opportunity to snag two VIP tickets for $200 each for the second day, I acted immediately. Thank God I did, because it was one of the best days of my life.

I’m no stranger to traveling across the country for festivals, so I was fully prepared in makeup and festival clothes on a plane at 5 a.m. to make the 2.5-hour ride up to Baltimore and a quick drive to Columbia. The day was beautiful, with sunshine being forecasted for the entire day. Getting to the Pavillion was relatively easy, as my friend and I could enter through an expedited line for VIP members only. The location’s setup was effortless to navigate, filled with sponsor booths, three crowded merch stands, various food options, and the two festival stages that the artists would be appearing on. However, not only did the pristine conditions of the location and day brighten my day, but the sincerity of the concert-goers. Everyone I came across was dressed in stylish outfits, with many having some relation to the favorite artist they were seeing. Whether it was a recreation of Ethel Cain’s custom Givenchy Coachella outfit or heart-shaped sunglasses for Lana Del Rey, there was no shortage of creativity amongst the crowd. Besides the superb fashion, practically everyone I encountered was lovely; I even traded friendship bracelets with a handful of people. Other than the people and atmosphere of the event, the actual experience was amongst the talented performers I witnessed throughout the day and night. 

I first watched singer Ella Jane’s set, an artist who had her start with viral videos on TikTok but had no shortage of quality songs. She was highly talented and generous, and I left with an obsession with her dance-worthy track “I Wanna.” Next, I headed down to the pit with friends to watch Leith Ross, an artist I had become obsessed with a few months before the show. The jam-packed pit was full of devoted Lana Del Rey fans, waiting the entire day to get the best view of their favorite artist, and many of the people clearly showed no interest in any act that wasn’t hers. Although this was a little discouraging, I still made the most of my experience, even if I was in the back of the pit or filled with people who didn’t necessarily care about seeing the acts directly in front of them. Ross was an incredibly down-to-earth but talented performer. Their songs were captivating but melancholic, and I appreciated their work even more than before once they had finished their short but sweet set. After Ross had finished, I managed to cut through the crowd to get to a better position to see an artist who had been a primary factor in why I flew to DC to see this show: Ethel Cain. I had been a fan of her music for about a year, but I’ve become completely captivated by her storytelling ability, vocals, and extraordinary songs. In fact, her debut, Preacher’s Daughter, was my utmost favorite album of 2023. Once Cain took the stage, it was clear that a large crowd in the seated amphitheater and the accompanying lawn had formed to watch her perform. She sang cult classics like “American Teenager,” “A House In Nebraska,” “Crush,” and much more, all while interacting with the crowd and captivating everyone who was watching. My greatest expectations regarding her performance were quickly succeeded, and I was surrounded by a few super-fans of her music, making my experience ten times more engaging. 

After a few more hours of checking out booths, eating dinner, and exploring the area, my friend and I made our way back down to our VIP-designated seats by the main stage to prepare for the first headliner, Boygenius, a super-group composed of Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker, and Lucy Dacus. I had been a massive fan of both The Record and their self-titled debut EP, so I went into this performance knowing every word that may come out of their mouths. Once again, I was blown away by this trio and their beautiful harmonies, intense guitar-playing, and charming personalities. Some of the most memorable performances of the night included “Not Strong Enough,” “Salt In The Wound,” and “Letters To An Old Poet,” where Bridgers specifically asked the audience to put down their phones due to the emotional content of the song, creating a beautifully intimate experience with the audience. 

After their performance concluded, fans sprinted to the smaller festival stage on the other side of the pavilion to see MUNA, an indie-pop band with members Katie Gavin, Josette Maskin, and Naomi McPherson. While I was familiar with most of their work before All Things Go, I didn’t expect to leave the night, with their performance being my favorite of the entire experience. They opened up with one of my favorite songs of all time, “What I Want,” which helped to establish the energy of their entire set- electric, euphoric, and undeniably queer. The audience was incredibly hyped with each song, jumping at a chorus or pumping fists at specific lyrics or guitar solos. The members’ energy resonated so clearly with the audience, and I almost wished they had gotten a headlining slot for a chance to see them on the big stage with an extended set. Some highlights from their performance included “Silk Chiffon,” “Kind Of Girl,” and “Stayaway.” Since their performance, MUNA has topped my list of artists I need to see live again. 

Once their set sadly ended, the concert-goers rushed back to watch the final artist of the night on the main stage: Lana Del Rey. I had seen Del Rey live a week before this performance, so I had a clear expectation of what I would be witnessing. However, nothing could’ve prepared me for when Jack Antonoff popped on stage for a surprise performance of “Margaret” and “Venice B*tch,” leaving me and the audience in shock. Jack and Lana were beautiful together, and the audience appreciated the special guest. The rest of her set was the standard she had used for the tour, but it was no less impressive than the first time I watched it. You could also see how incredibly humble Del Rey was to be headlining a festival with so many devoted fans. She repeatedly exclaimed to the audience how lucky she was to be in Baltimore, singing under a full moon. We weren’t in Baltimore, and there wasn’t a full moon, but I still appreciated the sentiment. 

As Lana concluded the night with, “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have- but I have it,” I was exhausted but extremely grateful for the fantastic day. I had seen some of my favorite artists and songs live, but I had also seen many other notable acts in such a unique venue. This was my first time attending All Things Go, but hopefully not my last, considering the affordable ticket prices, stellar lineup, and incredible atmosphere.

Check out this playlist to see the top hits from the festival’s performers!: