Something To Give Each Other: An Album Review

Amelia Knust
Troye Sivan’s third studio album, Something To Give Each Other, was just released this past month and has been blowing up online for all the right reasons. Read more to see a track-by-track analysis of each song and recommendations based on genre, lyrical content, and production!

When discussing the trials and tribulations of love, many artists may stick to sharing compelling but straightforward stories of finding or losing partners. However, with Troye Sivan’s 3rd album, Something To Give Each Other, love is explored with every possible emotion surrounding it- sorrow, euphoria, wistfulness, desperation, and more. While his first two projects, Blue Neighborhood and Bloom, showcase the process of growing up and accepting oneself, Something To Give Each Other comes across as Sivan’s most confident and powerful record yet, with each track exuberating an energy that has not been yet seen from the pop star. As someone who had never delved too deeply into his discography beforehand besides his hits and featured tracks, this record shocked me at how addicting it was from the first listen, automatically placing itself as one of my favorite projects this year. Read below for a track-by-track analysis of Something To Give Each Other

Track 1- “Rush”

While the lead single, “Rush,” has remained one of my favorites on the album, I was hesitant about this song before it was officially released. Sivan used one of my least favorite marketing tactics while going through the release process of “Rush”- posting the chorus on TikTok and then waiting a month before he released it, therefore exposing the audience enough to the point where they may get tired of the song before it’s officially released. Not only that, Sivan posted videos of or referenced Stray Kids’s Hyunjin with the song’s chorus in the back, causing K-pop fans everywhere to be observant of the music. As an observer of song marketing tactics and a huge K-pop fan, I couldn’t decide if he was the smartest person ever or if I was getting played and the song would go unnoticed under the radar after its release. However, I’ll be the first to admit that the song is incredible. After Sivan got a week’s worth of shaming on the internet for only including skinny people in his music video for the song, it seemed like everyone began to come to their senses and share the same views as me. Although short, “Rush” is an electrifying single that largely centers around Sivan’s confidence and liberation as a gay man who fully accepts and embraces himself. The dance beat in the back gives the impression of a song you would hear in a nightclub, and its persistence through the track gives the impression of a more queer and exciting version of The Weeknd’s “Take My Breath.” “Rush” is a perfect pop song, and despite my initial weariness towards the music, I have become completely enamored by it, feeling the need to dance, run, or jump to it whenever I click play.

Track 2- “What’s The Time Where You Are?”

After the vehement opener of the album, Sivan kicks it back a little with “What’s The Time Where You Are?” a sweet and addicting track about taking the time to get to know someone in the beginning stages of a relationship, with the main chorus of the track showcasing the beauty of mundane conversations when it is between two lovers. The entire song feels like the ever-relatable quest of lengthening a conversation, even if you don’t have much to say. The pre-chorus is incredibly captivating, and it builds up perfectly to the beat drop of the chorus. While it may not have the same intensity as “Rush,” this track beautifully continues the feel of a developing relationship while seeking the excitement and nightlife of the first track.

Track 3- “One Of Your Girls”

If you’ve been on the internet for the past week or so, you’ve likely heard about the commotion surrounding this invigorating song, and for good reason. When Troye Sivan released the music video for this track while wearing total drag and seducing Ross Lynch, pop culture went into overload, and rightfully so. The song’s premise surrounds a tricky topic- the vulnerability of Sivan as a gay man trying to seek validation from heterosexual men who claim to be “experimenting” and wanting to be “one of their girls.” The song comes across as flirtatious in the verses but desperate in the chorus, with Sivan apathetically singing, “Give me a call if you ever get lonely / I’ll be like one of your girls or your homies” in the chorus, with repeated promises to keep things a secret, something he knows will never work out, but won’t accept it yet. The song primarily relies on contemporary synths and stacked vocals in the background, which turns the story into a pop masterpiece. The iconic music video and heaps of glowing feedback have only highlighted it further. Every subtle or meaningful choice made with this song has allowed itself to blow up on the internet, and it has quickly become one of this year’s best tracks. 

Track 4- “In My Room” 

In a song that features Spanish singer-songwriter Guitairricadelafuente, “In My Room” explores themes of infatuation and messiness concerning a relationship. Sivan and Guitairricadelafuente take turns singing about the confusion of their real feelings toward their partner and how they feel inexperienced being in a meaningful relationship. Sonically, the track is beautiful, with synths and strings blending in the background, mixing with the smooth vocals of both singers. There even are jazz and city pop elements that appear periodically throughout the track, all of which create a satisfying, groovy song to listen to. While it doesn’t stand out as one of my immediate favorites, “In My Room” is not a track to miss on this album.

Track 5- “Still Got It”

“Still Got It” is a perfect example of how Sivan can effortlessly combine his old sound with a new sound, with the production and backup vocals sounding straight out of Blue Neighborhood but with the lyrical maturity of Something To Give Each Other. The song depicts a situation in which you realize everything you miss about being with your ex and how you would still return to them if given the chance. While the track is slower than the others, the instrumental break at the end gives the song the energy to fit right in with the rest. This song dives into the more emotional side of the album, reflecting upon nostalgia, regret, and wistfulness.

Track 6- “Can’t Go Back, Baby”

“Can’t Go Back, Baby” is a bittersweet ballad that centers around a sample of Jessica Pratt’s “Back, Baby” from 2014, with the song’s leading hook filling the background of the intro and choruses. Lyrically, the music is relatively simple, with the central premise surrounding Sivan’s feelings of nostalgia and acceptance of a breakup. Even though the song is near the bottom of my ranking of the album, “Can’t Go Back, Baby” still provides the listener with a sweet, laid-back experience as both Sivan and Pratt accept everything that has been lost in a relationship.

Track 7- “Got Me Started”

If there’s anything Sivan has been able to prove with this era, he can consistently shock his audience with his single choices. Whether it be through intense music videos or, in this case, jarring sample choices, Something To Give Each Other has permanently solidified Sivan’s position as a quintessential pop star of this generation. To everyone’s surprise, “Got Me Started” starts with the leading instrumental hook from Bag Raider’s “Shooting Stars,” a song that has been almost completely memed to death within the 2016-2018 era of meme culture. However, “Got Me Started” gave a new life to “Shooting Stars” and has allowed the original song to be appreciated in a new light without treating the song like a joke. Not only that, but Sivan shared that he is actually the only artist who has been able to use the song as a sample ever in history and accredited it to the shared Australian heritage between the two acts. Nevertheless, “Got Me Started” is an upbeat, dance-worthy track all about accepting one’s youth and living in the moment with a crush. It’s undeniably fun and perfectly captures every theme of the album while expanding beyond the usual boundaries of music by adding “Shooting Stars” throughout the song. 

Track 8- “Silly”

“Silly” keeps up the energetic vibe of the album with a continuous, fast-paced beat and intense vocal layering. The lyrics provide little meaningful substance, but the verses and choruses continue with the theme of love and lust that the rest of the tracks embody. However, even with the song’s title, Sivan makes it clear that not every song should be taken seriously and that this album is mainly a celebration of pride, confidence, and partying.

Track 9- “Honey”

As an immediate favorite track on the album from my first listen, “Honey” provides everything you could want in a song from this era. The song starts immediately with cool synths underlying Sivan’s vocals in a chorus that almost sounds nostalgic, even though he is talking in future tense. The beat that carries the song in the background has a reminiscent sound, nearly the perfect combination between something out of Blue Neighborhood and his newest creations. Every bit of it has so much heart and soul, from the charming vocals to the sweet lyrics. Out of every track on this album, “Honey” feels like a thesis to the era itself, with the song primarily focusing on finding love in a rapid-fire, busy life but still finding time to appreciate the beauty of others and the world you live in. 

Track 10- “How To Stay With You”

Something To Give Each Other concludes with “How To Stay With You,” giving an ambiguous ending to the relationship seemingly forming throughout the album. Sivan doesn’t know what the future holds for him, but he’s completely okay with it. An essential piece of information about this track is that it was mainly produced by A.G Cook, a household producer of hyperpop and experimental music. Although this track doesn’t have anything extremely out of the ordinary regarding production choices, the jazz of the saxophone embedded within the track, mixed with the synths and guitar, creates a perfect ending to such a monumental album for Sivan’s career.

Listen to Troye’s new album now!: Something To Give Each Other – Album by Troye Sivan | Spotify