How to Increase Service Hours

+Volunteer+hours+are+a+fantastic+way+to+make+your+college+application+standout+from+the+rest%2C+but+with+the+standard+being+between+50-200+hours+it+can+be+a+daunting+task.+However%2C+it+doesnt+have+to+be%2C+look+through+my+top+3+recommendations+for+organizations+to+find+the+perfect+organization+for+you.%0A++
Daniel Beccue
Volunteer hours are a fantastic way to make your college application standout from the rest, but with the standard being between 50-200 hours it can be a daunting task. However, it doesn’t have to be, look through my top 3 recommendations for organizations to find the perfect organization for you.

On average, it’s recommended that students have at least 50 to 200 hours (about one week and one and a half days) of service to impress colleges in future applications. Although 200 hours may sound daunting for only the most committed students, it’s far easier than you may think.   

It’s important to realize you don’t have to do it all at once. Just 10 hours a week is more than enough to reach your goal in less than six months, and like any goal, the key is a strict work schedule and discipline. Many students burn out or lose interest because they have never worked such long hours before and are discouraged from not having anything tangible to show for their efforts. Of course, having service hours will help you in the long run, but at the moment, it can feel like a chore, so it’s vital to find something you enjoy doing or, at the very least, don’t mind.   

There are various organizations you can volunteer for with a variety of different tasks. The Humane Society has always been a popular place to volunteer because, aside from working towards a noble cause, who does not like animals? Another exciting place to rack up your volunteer hours is your local church. Volunteering for a couple of hours each Saturday to help with the youth services is a wonderful way to get your hours up. Even though it’s not as noble as the others, working at the YMCA will boost your hours and even pay you for your time. Working as a pool boy will count towards your service hours and pay you an hourly wage; the only downside is that you need a pool safety certification.   

These are just a few spots that I recommend increasing your service hours, but if none are to your liking, there are thousands of other locations with different causes to fit your individual goals better. If you would like to volunteer at the YMCA, please check out their website at Become a Y Volunteer | YMCA.