Travel Diary: Key West

I+spent+the+weekend+in+Key+West+celebrating+a+wedding%2C+exploring+the+island%2C+and+eating+at+delicious+restaurants.+Keep+reading+for+more+details+about+my+spontaneous+travels.+
Emily Mangione
I spent the weekend in Key West celebrating a wedding, exploring the island, and eating at delicious restaurants. Keep reading for more details about my spontaneous travels.

Our flight was scheduled in the middle of the afternoon but got delayed for an extra two hours. I listened to a podcast and walked around the airport with my mom to pass the time. Once it was time to board, we had to walk up the stairs to the plane because it was so small. The plane to Key West was different from a usual-sized plane, but it had propellers and consisted of only 20 rows. The Silver Airline plane ride took about an hour, with only a few bumps.

My family and I went to Key West to celebrate our cousin’s wedding the next day. After our plane landed, we explored the area and walked around Duval Street, the main road with all the shops and restaurants. That night was the rehearsal dinner at the Conch Republic. The restaurant was on the water, and the party was in the front area outside with seafood, tropical drinks, and guests in coastal attire.

My family and I slept in the following day because we were tired from traveling and the dinner party. After a slow morning, we walked to get breakfast at a French café called LaGringnote. I got a bacon, egg, and cheese croissant for breakfast, which was the perfect way to start my day. For the afternoon, my family and I rented bikes, which was the most efficient way to travel around the island. We biked to the Mel Fisher Museum, which displays all the sunken treasure he found at the bottom of the ocean. We also visited President Harry Truman’s house on the island called the “Little White House.”

That night was the reason for our weekend getaway, the wedding. The ceremony and reception were at the Audubon House & Tropical Garden, a stunning venue with tropical trees and beautiful flowers decorating the area. The wedding had perfect weather, delicious Cuban food, a fantastic band, and an incredible bride and groom. We were only in Key West for two days but experienced many activities throughout the island and had a great time!