Best Rom Coms

Vera Agne
Valentine’s Day, a celebration of love and affection, provides the optimal occasion to indulge in the warmth and charm of romantic comedies. Whether you’re spending the day with a special someone or enjoying your own company, romantic comedies offer an escape to the world of love, laughter and heartwarming moments.

Valentine’s Day is coming up quickly which means it’s the perfect season for rom coms. Romantic comedies often referred to as “Rom Coms” have been a beloved genre in the film world. These films blend romance and humor to create heartwarming and entertaining stories. From classic favorites to modern gems, the best Rom Coms have lasting impressions on audiences. Rom Coms are one of my favorite genres of movies and I’d like to recommend a few to watch upcoming for Valentine’s Day.

1. Sixteen Candles (1984)

A coming-of-age romantic comedy directed by John Hughes. The movie is a quintessential ‘80s teen film and one of Hughes’ early contributions to the genre. The plot follows Samantha Baker (played by Molly Ringwald) who experiences a series of adventures on her sixteenth birthday.

2. Can’t Buy Me Love (1987)

Directed by Steve Rash, the movie stars a young Patrick Dempsy and Amanda Peterson. The story revolves around Ronald Miller (played by Dempsy), a high school nerd who pays a popular cheerleader, Cindy Mancini (played by Peterson) to pretend to be his girlfriend for a month. This movie is a must watch.

3. When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Directed by Rob Reiner, this film explores the complexity of a friendship turning into love. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal deliver memorable performances, and the film is known for its iconic New Year’s scene, where Harry (Billy Crystal) professes his love to Sally (Meg Ryan) and says, “And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”

4. Pretty Woman (1990)

Starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere, this modern-day fairy-tale follows a wealthy business owner who falls in love with a Hollywood prostitute. This film was a massive success and remains a classic. I personally love this movie in seeing the character development of Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts).

5. Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

This ensemble cast, featuring Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, and Emma Stone, explores various facets of love and relationships. This film is a blend of humor and sentimental moments. This is also one of my favorites because of the clash with Ryan Gosling and Steve Carrels characters, especially during the comedic plot twist.

6. The Kissing Booth (2018)

A teen romantic comedy film directed by Vince Marcello. It is based on the novel of the same name by Beth Reekles. The film revolves around Elle Evans, played by Joey King, and her best friend Lee Flynn, played by Joel Courtney. Elle and Lee have set friendship rules, and one of them involves a kissing booth at their school’s Carnival. The best way to describe this movie is “my best friend’s brother.” A classic in my opinion, although some scenes are cringe, I could watch this movie on repeat for days.

7. Anyone But You (2023)

A 2023 film directed by Will Gluck, starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell. The plot follows a fallen out one-night stand and a later rekindling to make their exes jealous at a wedding. Most of the Rom Coms these days haven’t been the best, but I truly enjoyed this one.

These Rom Coms among many others, showcase the diversity within the genre, appealing to audiences of all ages. Whether it’s the traditional tales of love overcoming obstacles or modern interpretations of romance, Rom Coms continue to provide delightful and heartwarming cinematic experiences.

<iframe src=”https://giphy.com/embed/3o6ZtmPCmCd22fepGM” width=”480″ height=”480″ frameBorder=”0″ class=”giphy-embed” allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href=”https://giphy.com/gifs/hulu-love-meg-ryan-3o6ZtmPCmCd22fepGM”>via GIPHY</a></p>