From Pencil to Mouse: The SAT Transfers from Paper to Computer

The+SAT+is+switching+from+a+paper+format+to+a+digital+format.+Continue+reading+for+more+information+on+the+unique+switch.+
CANVA
The SAT is switching from a paper format to a digital format. Continue reading for more information on the unique switch.

With the digital SAT debut coming in the spring of 2024, here is what is staying from the past SAT test. The overall structure, content, and scoring system of the SAT will remain the same, with a total of 1600 points that are able to be gained. But here’s what’s new to the SAT and it’s designed to make things easier for you. First off, say goodbye to those answer bubbles and pencils. The new SAT will be entirely computer-based. You can either use a computer at the testing center or, in some cases, bring your own laptop.  

One of the better changes to the digital SAT is that now it is only two hours The test is also getting shorter. One of the better changes to the digital SAT is that now it is only two hours and the time is cut by about a third. Also, a difference in the digital SAT is that now like the ACT, a calculator is allowed on the entire portion of math that is on the test. However, still different from the ACT is that there are two different sections of math unlike the ACT’s one big section. Stressing about charging your calculator and brining to the testing center is over, now with the built-in one on the computer you have all the same features that you real calculator has and it’s right on your screen. One other huge addition to taking the digital SAT is that, once you’re done with the test, you won’t have to wait weeks for your scores. It’ll only be a matter of days. This means less stress and more time to decide if you want to retake the test or send your scores to colleges. Also, with the Digital SAT, it makes it a lot easier to study for your next test. They tell you the exact problems you got wrong and right so you know where to spend your time when preparing for your next test. Also, you can plug your scores into Kahn Academy, and they will test you on where you need the most help.  

People may be wondering why change it. College board explained a few reasons on their wesbite. They stated “more students are learning and testing online now, so it makes sense for the SAT to follow in their footsteps. As the first wave of digital tests come in, we’re listening to feedback and making changes to make sure we’re meeting the needs of students and teachers. But we’re not just putting the current SAT S online. We’re using the digital platform to its most potential. Going digital means, we can be more flexible with when, where, and how often the SAT is given. This is especially helpful for states, districts, and schools that offer the SAT to all their students on SAT School Day. SAT School Day is important for giving everyone access to the test and has been shown to help more of the students who struggle to afford the test fees every time it is offered on a Saturday. That’s why a School wide test day is huge for everyone.”

To learn more about how the SAT has changed, visit the page below.  

https://www.princetonreview.com/college/free-digitalsat-practice-test?exid=ae45c038-b008-4763-bdb1-4dc6c3e0a39e