New school chef pledges to continue cafeteria changes

Student Nutrition Services Manager Debbie Ferguson prepares the daily offerings in the cafeteria. Ferguson assumed her new position this  April.

Haley Babbitt

Student Nutrition Services Manager Debbie Ferguson prepares the daily offerings in the cafeteria. Ferguson assumed her new position this April.

Between the months of August and May, lunch remains a fixture during the school day, nourishing the bodies, as well as the minds, of students.

Coinciding with new national and local government policies promoting better nutrition, Hillsborough County recently implemented policies to improve the nutritional value of the food in school cafeterias.

Student Nutrition Services (SNS) manager Mitch Smithey, known by students as “Chef Mitch,” embraced the spirit of this movement when he arrived at Plant two years ago.

His departure in March called attention to the modifications he made during his tenure at the school, most notably “Second-Chance Breakfast,” a program that allowed students to obtain breakfast from the cafeteria until the beginning of third period.

“One of the biggest issues nationwide is students skipping breakfast. Students who eat breakfast perform better on standardized tests, have less behavioral issues and have better attendance,” Smithey said. “They are better students overall.”

While Smithey’s breakfasts initially drew only 250 students, the program now serves between 440 and 500 students each day.

“It just started snowballing from there. There’s still a lot of room for growth,” Smithey said.

In addition to Second-Chance Breakfast, Smithey has attempted to improve the quality of food that students consume.

Since arriving at Plant, Smithey has adapted the cookies offered by the cafeteria from an Otis Spunkmeyer brand to a county-approved, whole grain homemade recipe.

As Smithey assumes his new job at Oak Grove Elementary school, he looks forward to reaching a younger group of kids that require nourishment to maximize their potential in the classroom.

Debbie Ferguson, Smithey’s successor, has 28 years of experience, recently transferring from the Pinellas County School District central offices, and has extensively discussed with him how she plans to continue his policies.

“We’re communicating now about what he’s started. The communication will continue,” Ferguson said. “I’ll do my best.”

Some students noted the improvements in cafeteria standards since Smithey’s reforms. Notably, Second-Chance Breakfast provides students with another opportunity to eat before the school day begins.

“I really like [Second-Chance Breakfast] because I go right before homeroom and have something to snack on during third period if I don’t have time before school,” Rachel Goding, senior, said.

Students expressed that they would miss Smithey’s presence in the cafeteria.

“He will be missed. I remember, every morning I’d get breakfast from him,” Anthony Schmoll, senior, said. “I know he’ll do great at his next job.”

Smithey eagerly anticipates aiding the student body of Oak Grove Elementary, expressing strong confidence regarding the future success of Plant’s cafeteria.

“There shouldn’t be a whole lot of changes after I leave,” Smithey said. “[Ferguson and I] have been very good on the level of idea-sharing.”

Students can look forward to a continuation of Second-Chance Breakfast and the installment of new lunchroom additions, including an iced-coffee machine.