Students start newest club with high hopes

High Schools Against Cancer (H.A.C.) is an organization made by the American Cancer Society with the goal of allowing high school students and faculty to come together to help their community and support the effort against cancer. This year, H.A.C. has been introduced to Plant as a club open to all students who are interested in joining.
Juniors Jessica Dominici, Olivia Morris, Gilly Minnehan, and Ellie Edwards came up with the idea to have a service club that focuses on cancer. After doing some research, the girls discovered High Schools Against Cancer. After meeting with the community manager of American Cancer Society for our area, they decided to bring the program to Plant.
Organizing the club and finding a teacher who was willing to be the club’s sponsor proved to be difficult and frustrating at times for the girls. Many of them were already involved in the cancer community through other volunteering opportunities, and being passionate about the cause allowed them to have the patience to put in the hard work that starting a club demands. They hope that the club is a success for many years to come and has a positive impact on our school and community.
“I really hope that [H.A.C.] teaches students the positive impact of volunteering and fundraising for cancer. I hope that it raises awareness of how cancer affects them and the people around them. Lastly, I hope to teach students ways to prevent cancer such as wearing sunscreen, having good nutrition, and avoiding tobacco products,” said Dominici.
Though H.A.C. is a new club, it already has big plans for this upcoming year. They have service projects already lined up with American Cancer Society such as Hope House and Relay for Life. They also plan on including service opportunities with organizations such as Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, All Children’s Cancer Society, and Fashion Funds the Cure. The club’s goal is to offer one service opportunity a month for its members.
H.A.C. is a great club to join to get service hours, work with people who are passionate about what they are doing, and make a real difference in people’s lives. Applications can be found outside of Ms. Marks door in upstairs south hall and are due September 9. H.A.C. encourages everyone to join and help them to have a successful first year as the newest club at Plant.