New tardy policy implements revised punishment policy

Administration introduced a new policy regarding the issue of tardies in the classroom. Previously, offenders received some form of warning after their first three tardies. As of now, only the first two occurrences call for a warning and the third offense results in a lunch detention. This new policy began on the first day of school.
Some students believe that lunch detention as punishment for their third offense seems too drastic of a way to handle the situation.
“They don’t give you a lot of second chances and a lot of times it’s just hard to be on time.” Pearson Brooks, senior, said. “The lunch detention isn’t bad but I feel like there should be at least a couple more warnings before you get to something like that.” Brooks said.
Underclassmen also expressed their distaste towards the new rule, focusing on the removal of the time they spend with their friends.
“Lunch is like my downtime to be with my friends and relax.” Anna Curtis, sophomore, said. “I would rather have some kind of detention in the morning rather than waste my lunch period in detention.”
Teachers have also come up with their own opinions to this new system and seem to be interested as to how it will work out as its use becomes more and more frequent.
“Tardies have always been a problem at this school, so it’ll be interesting to see how long something like this will play out in the long run.” Peter Jones, AP Statistics teacher, said.
Students also face lunch detention upon their fourth infraction, regular detention on the fifth through seventh infractions and Saturday Work Detail upon the eighth through ninth. Upon the tenth and eleventh infractions a student could face a referral to the guidance office, a parent conference after the twelfth and thirteenth infractions, and potentially In School Suspension if found tardy fourteen times.