Peer Tradition Continues

Almost every student remembers the day they received their peer as a freshman: being pulled out of homeroom by an upper classman, being forced to wear a tap card that says “I want to be like [peer’s name]” and eating doughnuts in the overcrowded lunchroom. Whether it was an exciting or horribly awkward experience, it’s a school tradition that this year’s freshman were able to take part in last Thursday, October 15.

Upperclassmen who sign up for the program received the name(s) of their peer(s) before Thursday, giving them time to prepare for meeting their peer. Upperclassmen can receive between one and three freshmen peers.

Earlier in the school year, upperclassmen who signed up to be peers and all freshman received forms to help them be paired with the best peer for them. They were asked questions about their activities so that they could be paired with someone with similar interests. They were also asked to give the name of a person they would want to have for a peer, in case they already knew someone they believed would be a good fit for their peer.

For most, this selection process worked out very well. “My peer is Kent Malizia [junior]. I didn’t know him before today, but he’s actually not that bad,” said Race Belmont, freshman.

A common tradition for upperclassmen is to bring a present for their freshman peer to enjoy on the day of the peer breakfast. “[I brought my peers] cookies and gum,” said Jodi Traster, senior, standing with her peers Ashlee Osceola, freshman, and Lauren Rose, freshman.

Among the lunchroom peers were already discussing how they could spend time with and get to know each other. From smoothies to community service most students were excited about the many ideas they had for the upcoming year. “My peers and I are going to do a lot of fun stuff. I’ll probably take them mudding, but they’ll have to clean my truck,” said Bryce Jenkins, juniors, sitting with his peers Michael Fitzsimmons, freshman, and Trey Heil, freshman.

The peers program has been helping to provide freshman guidance for many years. Hopefully this year’s freshman benefit greatly and the upperclassmen are able to help their peers get involved in activities that interest them and adjust well to high school.