Quirky study tips to ace exams

As time for exams comes closer, and anxiety levels begin to rise to dangerously high levels, individuals begin to question if whether or not their study habits are going to aid them in acing their exams. Don’t fret though; Pep O’ Plant comes baring a diverse assortment of study tips, all coming from the minds of students.

Arissa Canella, junior, says that watching television aids her in recalling certain facts during test, as she connects her study material with whatever television program she is watching at the time. “Watching television helps me while I study. When I study, hearing my favorite show or movie in the background helps me link the information to a certain scene, so when I’m taking a test and trying to remember the answer to a question I remember what I was watching and all the information comes rushing back.”

Elizabeth Doney, junior, utilizes the Tumblr, Studyblrs.tumblr.com. Doney enjoys using this resource because of its unique methods on note taking, and the useful study websites it provides. “I like them because they show you a lot of different ways to make notes more colorful and fun. They also have links to cool formats and helpful websites.” This Tumblr also provides inspirational text posts that motivate students to study and learn.

Sami Mangoine, senior, suggests studying over the span of a couple days, instead of a day before cram session. She also advises students to use acronyms when studying, “Try to study everyday so you’re not last minute cramming, also acronyms help.”

Corey Dolgin, senior, is for changing up the standard studying scene, and exercising to keep the mind sharp. “Currently I now study at different areas around South Tampa: Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Panera, the Public Library, etc. I believe it is important to study at one of these or other similar locations because they all have a perfect atmosphere that keeps me focused for several hours. Although studying at these locations help me a lot, I believe it is great to rotate to different areas in order to be exposed to different environments. Personally this strategy helps me a lot. Another strategy that helps me focus is a habit that has nothing to do with studying. Exercising daily releases endorphins which helps me focus and concentrate much better on schoolwork. Make sure to do some type of physical activity each day for about 60 minutes. Most importantly, make sure to complete exam review packets and study in advance. Never study at the last minute. Preparing for the exam the night before will not help.”

Andrew VanWert, senior, also places importance on completing exam reviews and in class reviews, referring to them as “life savers”. VanWert also recommends writing all important information down when it is being said by the teacher, which in turn helps him remember it for future test. For more practice VanWert offers, “If I need more study time, I’ll read my textbook if its science or social studies. Or in math I’ll go back and work on some extra problems from the book that I haven’t done in a while.”

Meredith Muller, junior, proposes students use color to help them retain information. “I highlight different sections of each review based on the topic and then use the colors to help trigger my memory on info about that certain topic.”

Exam week is nearly here, and let’s hope these study tips aid students in efficiently preparing for their exams.