Students benefit from giving blood

Yesterday, Feb. 16, students were given the opportunity to donate blood. The organization Oneblood brought blood donation buses to the school in which students 16 or older and 110 lbs could donate a pint of blood. Donating blood has many often overlooked benefits:

• Free stuff: Students who donate blood receive free food before and after they donate. Beforehand, students are given a sweet or a sandwich and during they are given soda or juice. Afterwards, students have the option to have pizza. They also receive a free Oneblood t shirt.
  • Helping people: According to the American Red Cross, someone in the United States needs blood every two seconds. Many people with a variety of blood disorders need blood transfusions every day. Human blood can not be manufactured, and therefore donors are the only source of blood for these people in dire need of transfusions.
  • Mini health exam: When students donate blood, the organization checks their blood pressure, temperature and blood type. Learning this information about themselves helps students understand their own health and how to manage it better.
  • Regulates iron levels: Donating blood helps your body to reduce iron overload in the blood. This can help reduce chances of conditions such as cancer, hemochromatosis and heart and liver ailments.
  • New blood: Losing a pint of blood requires your body to replenish the blood cells lost. Therefore, your body generates a pint of new blood. This has a number of benefits for your health including better blood flow, which can reduce the likelihood of suffering from a heart attack.