Cheerleading unifies students

Varsity cheerleaders teach Project Unify member cheers such as Black and Gold.

Thompson Draper

Varsity cheerleaders teach Project Unify member cheers such as “Black and Gold”.

Project Unify aims to incorporate the Special Needs students at Plant High School into activities that students take part in after school. The varsity cheerleading engaged in teaching the students how to do some of their cheers.

To start off the hour long practice all of the students took part in, they participated in an ice breaker activity. In this activity they told everyone their names and their favorite ice cream flavors.

After this, they began stretching. They stretched for a few minutes, and began practicing their cheers right after.

They got into lines, led by two cheerleaders. The two cheerleaders did the cheer once, then everyone else joined in, doing the cheer three times. The cheers they practiced consisted of ‘Panther Country’, ‘Panther Territory’, ‘Panther Power’, ‘Romp ‘em Stomp ‘em’, ‘Who are We’, ‘Attack’ and ‘Black and Gold’.

After finishing their cheers the group then gathered in a circle and played a game of “Duck, duck, goose.” The students were very into the game, and played it for around ten minutes.

The cheerleaders were very dedicated to perfect their cheers, and spread eye opening insight on what they were doing for their friends.

“We did this to allow the Paw Prints to feel involved during football games and be a part of cheerleading,” said Julia Mann, sophomore.

“We do this so the special need kids can be involved in our school, have a voice, and feel welcomed,” stated Caitlyn Dellegatto, sophomore.

The students learned many cheers today which they will use in future events, and they all had smiles on their faces at the end of the practice.