Students hope for new club approval

Despite all the clubs Plant currently offers, students are now beginning to come up with new ideas and create new clubs for their peers to participate in.

Getting a club approved is a long process. Students must do everything from nding a sponsor to creating a club mission statement to being autho- rized by Plant administration. Despite all the steps, many Plant students are taking the initiative to make their club idea a reality.

Bob Schofner,junior, has been g- uring out club details all Summer, for a service club open to all students.

“There is a club called Why De ne Us to empower women, but not one for men,” Schofner said.

Schofner’s club has the objective of helping at risk-males, by reducing ATOSS and other expulsions and in turn increasing male graduation rates.

“I am trying to get a mentor pro- gram going where we [club members] go be a mentor to a middle schooler,” Schofner said.

As well as trying to help out kids part of the Panther community, Bob wants to use this mentor program as a way to positively affect the South Tam- pa neighborhood.

Hunter Owens, junior, is another stu- dent trying to add a club to the plant community. His club, which will host pingpong events, has a plan to give back to the community.

“The clubs main purpose is to raise money for the Brain Bill foundation,” Owens said.

The Brain Bill foundation is a charity that gives back to families who have had a child die in the special forces “Members will meet to play and socialize. It allows students to build character and have friendly competitions with peers,” Owens said.

Roman Mamus, senior, is trying to create a Music Honor Society open to any student enrolled in a Plant ensemble.

“[The club] meant to bring together our talented musicians to represent the Plant High music program in our community,” Mamus said.

This club offers a way for all the mu- sic programs at Plant to work as one. With the band, orchestra, and choir teachers all sponsoring a single club, students from different branches of the music program can now more eas- ily collaborate with each other.

“I think the whole idea of a music honor society is really cool,” senior Taylor Hatjioannou said. “Normally only music based schools have music honor society’s, but Plant’s music program is growing each year so I think it’s time  that we have one of our own to showcase our musical talents.”

With the plant community continually evolving and growing more clubs give students more opportunities to get involved both in school and in the community.