Marching Band Starts Up the New Season

With the football season kicking off, Marching Band works collectively to produce music that will energize the school and encourage school spirit. By being in the marching band, each member is required to attend every game where they must pump up the crowd. “I love it. It’s a great experience to be a part of that atmosphere and cheer on our team. It’s like going to the game as a fan but a lot more fun”, Sean Costello, junior, said. At the game they stand in their own gated off section and preform for not only the school, but themselves. “Playing at the games is the best. Marching the show is fun and it’s fully entertaining but I think the game and pumping up the crowd is the best,” Johnathan Clements, senior, said.

By preparing simultaneously for not only the games but also the competitions, the group of student continues to show involvement in the varying aspects of school functions. They practice three days a week after school, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, for their upcoming performances. However, they do dedicate some class time in school to competition music.

…at the end of the day we get a lot done and have a good time.

— Sean Costello, junior

At school, during the fall, the marching band practices concert music and marching music at the same time. In the end their time totals over 5 hours and 30 minutes. However, despite the time commitment, Sean Costello, junior, describes a typical practice. “They are pretty tough both physically and mentally, especially Wednesday when we practice in the heat the whole time. Although at the end of the day we get a lot done and have some good time,” Costello said.

The performances seen at school and the home games aren’t the only events played. Since the band must be at every game, they travel to different schools around the area to share a piece of school pride all over the county. “It feels different performing a new crowd of students that you aren’t familiar with. Performing in front of students and teacher’s is comforting because you are familiar with them. A different group feels like a different performance,” Dali Calo, freshman, said. Then through all the traveling and practice, they continue to strive for success at their competitions. Maysie Calzon, senior, takes a look at the game and competition performances. “That’s like comparing apples and oranges, but if I absolutely chose I would go with competitions because they are more competitive and I love to win,” Calzon said. Band Director Mr. Dell shares the upcoming music that will be preformed at their first competition.

“This year’s show is featuring the music of Queen. We are working on the whole show which consists of We Will Rock You, Another Bites the dust [and] Bohemian Rhapsody,” Mr. Dell said.