No A/C, No Chill

Margeaux Sinibaldi enters her room and can immediately feel it, or the lack of it, in the air. Her classroom, among many others, has no functioning air conditioning. And the humid, sticky temperature is only rising.

Sinibaldi, reading teacher, has gone without A/C for the past three weeks.

“It worked until three weeks ago. I think this was week three or four of it not being on,” Sinibaldi said.

Due to this lack of circulating air, Sinibladi had to rearrange her lessons and find a cooler location for her and her students, as remaining in a classroom with no A/C was not an option.

“It definitely impacted [my classes] because I was going to the cafeteria for like four periods a day and then we found other alternate places for the fifth and sixth periods,” Sinibaldi said. “I couldn’t do as much group work or use PowerPoint so I just worked on FSA stuff with the students, where they could do things on their own because it’s a reading class. I just tried to figure out ways to modify as best as I could and then we just went with it.”

But when the class did have to stay in room 16, Sinibaldi faced the challenges of heat and its toll on her students.

“You do get to some points in the day where it was so hot in here and it definitely affects the students because if it’s so hot no one wants to be in the classroom you know, and that can make for a long day…the air was really heavy so there was no teaching going on.” Sinibaldi said.

Sinibaldi also recognizes that tough steps are being made to correct the issue at hand, but they aren’t working.

“There was one time where somebody said your air should be fixed and it got fixed for like maybe twenty five minutes. It was on and then it felt cooler, like it felt like it was kicking in, and then it didn’t again,” Sinibaldi said.

Emmy Adams, senior, struggled with this heat as she had to endure three hours of no air conditioning while taking the SAT.

“It was actually a major issue for me. In general I am not a very good test taker so adding no air to the situation definitely made the situations ten times worse.” Adams said. “Throughout the test I was really uncomfortable and I definitely was not as focused as I could have been.”

Conversely, Lena Diasti, sophomore, experiences the chilly side of the A/C in Peter Jones’ class. She believes the colder environment sharpens her focus.

“Honestly, the colder temperature helps me stay focused and concentrated on the [teacher’s] lectures. Definitely would rather be in a colder classroom than a hotter one,” Diasti said.

Lauren Otero, the department head of athletics and facilities, explained that the reason for the fluctuating air throughout the school can be accredited to air condition units themselves.

“Well you have all different kinds of units, we don’t have one system that controls the entire school. You have parts of the building that have all separate units. Just like in a house things have to be maintained,” Otero said.

Otero went on to explain what is being done to take care of this issue.

“That’s what the County takes care of, so anytime a unit goes down or a room is not cooling to the extent a teacher thinks it should be we submit a maintenance request and the maintenance request goes into a centralized ticket system,” Otero said. “Now some problems are more urgent than others so just because its in a progression of first come, first serve it may get serviced earlier, it may get put on hold if theres a bigger problem at a different school.”

“We need to just work on these A/C units,” Carvajal said.

Additionally, Adrian Mendoza, junior, is confused by the A/C repairmen and the dysfunctional A/C units.

“These A/C guys don’t know what they’re doing like half the school is either hot or it’s like 50 degrees, like it’s the north pole up in the classroom like I don’t even know,” Mendoza said.