AP classes promote the wrong concept

AP classes promote the wrong concept

When students make up their schedules for the upcoming year, the question that seems to linger the halls is, “How many AP classes am I going to take?”. For some students, creating next years schedule can be extremely stressful, which can lead to hasty decisions. Often, students are pressured by their peers and even guidance counselors into taking classes that they are not ready for.

Although AP classes offer benefi ts, such as extra points added to a students GPA, they are not always the best decisions. Since AP classes are college level courses they move at a faster pace and contain more complicated topics, making it hard for honors level students keep up.

The student body consists of over 2,400 students, and are being treated like the 10 percent who are potentially rocket scientists. On average, less than
half of the students that are administered advanced placement exams, pass them.

It’s not ideal for all high school students to take between seven and ten AP classes during their high school career. “Students are encouraged to enroll in AP courses, if available, but the application process is not impacted negatively without AP courses,” according to Deborah Watkins, Offi cer of Admissions at University of Central Florida.
The myth that without AP’s, college isn’t an option has impacted the decisions of many students over the years. Encouraging them to take classes they may not be prepared for.

Also AP classes are not the only option for students to receive a boost in their GPA.

Dual enrollment is another great option for students. When dual enrolling, students don’t feel the pressure of passing AP exams, and are more prepared
for university classes since they have already taken classes in a college setting.

Advance placement courses are a great way for some students to get extra preparation for college and a boost in GPA.

These courses are not for the faint of heart, and should be taken seriously for those who want to challenge themselves academically. It’s important as a student to enroll in challenging courses but understand that AP isn’t always the right step for everyone.

Rather then signing up for classes they may not be successful in, students should take classes they can truly keep up with.

screenshot-2016-11-06-01-23-27