Students enjoy holiday festivities

As the holiday season approaches, decorations pop up all around the Tampa Bay area. The winter spirit encourages students to get out and showcase their anticipation and excitement for upcoming festivities around town.

“My favorite part of the holidays is the mood. Everyone is so happy and cheerful. It’s finally getting cold, and people are looking forward to the new year and all the things that come with that. A lot of people get to see family members or go on vacation, and it’s just an overall exciting time for everyone. Even though we live in Florida, when it drops to 60 everyone pulls out their big jackets and it makes everyone get even more into the spirit which I think is really funny, and overall it’s just a really happy mood no matter what’s happening all over the country,” said freshman, Lily Bonbrest, concerning her favorite time of the year.

While many protest the decorations being put up too early, Bonbrest has a more positive take on the matter.

“I love how the decorations are put up so early, so it helps everyone get in the spirit because it doesn’t really get that cold. They bring some of the holiday spirit to tampa and make it actually feel like the holidays, even though it’s like 75 degrees,” Bonbrest said.

Curtis Hixon: (pictures of Bonbrest and park)

Curtis Hixon is notorious around the holiday season for its giant tree lighting ceremony, annual ice rink, and concerts.

“It’s realy cool getting to go to Curtis Hixon to hangout during the holidays. The ice rink makes it feel like we are actually experiencing a real winter in Florida. There’s a bunch of events to attend there during this time of year which makes it a great hot spot in Tampa,” sophomore, Lukas Worley said.

Hyde Park: (pictures of Bonbrest and park)

Hyde Park, another favorite spot, is home to many stores and restaurants and a large Christmas tree accompanied by decorative presents and strings of lights around the streets, serving as a great photo op.

“I love the decorations in Hyde Park. Seeing the Christmas tree lit up in Hyde Park is amazing. It really puts me in the holiday spirit,” junior, Sydni Johnson said.

International Mall: (pictures of Bonbrest and mall)

While mall activities consist of shopping or dining at restaurants on Bay Street, elaborate decorations are placed in the form of large wreaths and strings of lights in the walking areas to showcase the holiday spirit.

“I always love the decorations at the mall while Christmas shopping because living in Florida, we don’t get snow so seeing it at the mall even if its fake, gets me in the holiday spirit,” senior, Christine Rioles said.

Upcoming Events:

Santa Photos- Monday-Sunday, all mall hours, ends Dec. 23

Hyde Park Tree Lighting- Nov. 19, 5-9pm

Hyde Park Visit with Santa Claus- Dec. 4, 10, 11, 15, times vary

Curtis Hixon Tree Lighting Ceremony- December 2, 6 p.m.

Curtis Hixon Santa Fest + Christmas Parade- Dec. 3, 11 a.m.

Winter Village- Nov. 18-Dec. 14, times vary