Sophomores learn about the dangers of drug use

The sophomore class watched an anti-drug informative presented by the NOPE Task Force today.

The NOPE Task Force, which stands for Narcotics Overdose Prevention and Education, seeks to inform students about the dangers of consuming drugs and alcohol.

“We’d love students to know that they can speak up,” Beth Butler said, who works as an advocate for NOPE.

According to the presentation, teenagers are at the highest risk of becoming addicted to drugs. This is because their brains are still in the process of developing.

“[If addicted] people lose track of anything else as all you care about is when you get your next drug rush,” sophomore Mason Shaw said.

The lecture emphasized the importance of reporting overdoses or any kind of consumption of drugs, as even the smallest pill can be fatal. This was evidenced by a guest speaker, who lost her son due to addiction.

“We should help those around us by helping them deal with their addictions,” sophomore Anne Sophie Labossiere said, who attended the NOPE presentation.

Butler also informed students about the Good Samaritan Law, which protects those who report an overdose from liability. As she explained in the presentation, even if the person who calls is also taking unprescribed drugs or drinking underage, they will not face legal trouble.

“[To prevent fatalities] we need to recognize the symptoms of overdose and try to stop the problem immediately,” sophomore Emily Surak said.

Symptoms of drug overdose include clammy skin, an elevated body temperature, dilated pupils, vomiting and irrational behavior.

“Youth substance abuse is an epidemic right now. It’s at an all time high,” Butler said.

If someone is experiencing an overdose, call 911 immediately. For those who would like to speak to a professional about drug abuse, for either themselves or a loved one, contact 211.