The student news site of H. B. Plant High School

Mental health strikes up concern

Caleb Watson

During the assembly for mental health awareness for sophomores, school psychologist Jim Landers informs students on signs to look for in their peers for mental illness.

Gian Cortez

Gian Cortez

Gavin Figueruelo, Staff Writer

With mental health concerning school administration, Hillsborough county had an assembly for all high schools to provide help and reassurance for students. The assembly took place in the school auditorium on Thursday, Sept. 29, during periods one, two, three and seven.

“We need to rid of the stigma and the stereotypes surrounding mental health and open up a safe space for people if they need help,” sophomore Lien Lamison said.

School administrators such as Principal Bush, Assistant Principal Hellenberg and school counselor Hardy, along with many more, extended an offer to all plant high school students to seek help if needed.

“Having friends who have had issues like this, I think it’s great that the school is taking action and trying to help because a lot of the time, people need some help that is difficult to receive,” senior Michael Snyder said.

The rally took up the whole period and discussed topics like ways of knowing if somebody could be suffering from depression or dealing with difficult times and could use a helping hand.

“It’s really important to take action and to pay attention to your friends because you could potentially save a life,” sophomore Alison Patterson said.

Also provided at that the meeting was national and local hotline service information and pamphlets on the information covered.

“I think it’s really cool that the school is offering a guide to help us help other students get help if they need it because we are so caught up in our social lives, we are sometimes oblivious to the obvious signs for help,” freshman Jessica Larinaga said.

All services are available to students at all times and in the future, the school encourages students to act immediately.

“It’s pretty cool that our school district cares about us and wants to make sure we are doing okay” junior Jasmine Weaver said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Mental health strikes up concern”

1. Pershia Haj on October 16th, 2017 5:13 am

Awesome article! Good to know that the school did this. This website is looking amazing and Pep O’ Plant is killing it this year keep it up!!!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Mental health strikes up concern

Multimedia

Taking a Stand

• Mental health strikes up concern

Multimedia

AVID hosts chili cook-off

• Mental health strikes up concern

News

JROTC hosts club field day

• Mental health strikes up concern

News

Volunteer fair personifies selflessness in high school

• Multimedia

Video: Students participate in blood drive

• Mental health strikes up concern

News

Literary Exploration

• Mental health strikes up concern

News

News briefs to start the week of 11/6

• Mental health strikes up concern

Gallery

Beta inducts new members

• Mental health strikes up concern

News

Band places first in competition

• Mental health strikes up concern

News

News briefs to start the week of 10/30

Mental health strikes up concern