Latin Revived

Student interest re-emerges

Sophomore+Sherman+Lacost+tutors+freshman+Eleanor+David+before+her+test+the+next+day.+

Morgan Shelton

Sophomore Sherman Lacost tutors freshman Eleanor David before her test the next day.

Latin Club regains its prominence this year under the guidance of John Henson, Latin teacher, and the club’s three presidents.

Headed by Alyssa Stern, Michelle Ferlita and Desu Imudia, these seniors are excited to be taking the lead in directing the activities and competitions the club is planning to participate in. They wish to not only promote an appreciation for the language itself, but also the culturally rich elements of the classical era.

“We’re trying to do more activities; get more people involved – that’s our goal,” Ferlita said.

With an anticipated 100 members joining, Latin Club offers a unique experience for those interested. Of their prospective activities, Latin Forum is one of their most highly anticipated – an opportunity to compete regionally against students with similar interests.

This competition includes a fusion of creative and academic components, including “Brain Bowl” type questioning, as well as craft elements such as costumes, mosaics, dramatic interpretations and other art forms. This year, it will be hosted here, and Latin Club is thrilled to be included in its set up.

Aside from their goals to compete, Latin Club is a way to unite members of the student body, many of whom were exposed to Latin in middle school and wish to continue pursuing it.

“It’s really nice to have that foundation [from middle school], and it built my love for Latin,” Stern said. “In high school, it’s nice to have a club to meet other people who have that same foundation.”

Ferlita and Stern have been taking Latin for seven and eight years, respectively, and Imudia has been involved since freshmen year. Imudia initially began her studies of the language as a way to better prepare for the SATs, but since the exam’s alterations, has continued to study after discovering her love for the subject.

“I actually enjoyed it, it was fun, it was different – I still take Spanish, but I do like Latin a lot so I can’t leave now,” Imudia said.

While many acknowledge the benefits of Latin in the context of college and college exams, the subject also covers much more ground, allowing students to develop as well-rounded people and discover interests that don’t necessarily surface in the day-to-day.

“I’m of the belief in that there’s value in learning how to think; how to look at real questions of philosophy, to look at early theology, to look at poetry,” Henson said. “I think Latin very much fosters that ability.”

Many members can’t imagine not being a part of the Latin atmosphere.

“Once you get into it, there’s no other language you want to learn more than Latin,” Sofia Sincell, club member, said.

As Latin Club is preparing to secure a spot in the top five, at least in the state-wide competition, it is without doubt that these students are bringing new life to a once-deemed ‘dead language.’