Students accepted to Dali fashion program

fter+attending+the+Dali+Museum+program%2C+junior+Summer+Purks+likes+how+it+gives+her+more+experience+as+a+3-D+artist.+Purks+also+liked+how+the+program+forced+her+to+go+outside+her+comfort+zone.++

Gracen Rivera

fter attending the Dali Museum program, junior Summer Purks likes how it gives her more experience as a 3-D artist. Purks also liked how the program forced her to go outside her comfort zone.

After applying for a program at the Dali Museum in September, junior Summer Purks and senior Anne-Sophie Labossiere were accepted to display their artwork and fashion design and improve their works by attending sessions for budding artists. 

Each student had to submit a portfolio of their work and a statement of how they gained interest in fashion design while the program itself consists of 12 sessions where students practice different aspects of design. 

“The program helped me think more about my approach as an artist,” Labossiere said. “I find it really cool how they let our young voices into the museum.” 

The sessions are specifically for aspiring artists, and the purpose is to allow students to think creatively. 

“I wanted to get more experience in the arts because I’m a 2-D art student, so I mainly just draw and paint,” Purks said. “I wanted to do something 3-D and interactive that kind of forced me to go outside of my comfort zone.” 

Labossiere said that the program is especially useful because of her passions in life. 

Gracen Rivera
Senior Anne-Sophie Labossiere says the Dali Museum helped her think more about her approach as an artist. Labossiere found the program cool because it lets young voices into the museum.

“I hope to continue with this as a career because I am truly inspired by how fashion can unite people,” Labossiere said. “I love how clothing can evoke a strong emotion in others. Confidence, nostalgia, and power.” 

Both students said that they found the sessions helpful. 

“So far it’s been really cool, and it’s been a challenge because it’s something new for me and I’ve never really done anything like this before, but it’s also fun because I get to do something different,” Purks said. 

While the sessions were difficult, Labossiere also found them to be rewarding. 

“I would say that the hardest thing is turning your vision into a reality,” Labossiere said. “There are so many options on what fabric to use and how to construct things. But figuring these things out makes it more fun too.” 

Both students agreed that the program is great for people interested in art or design and recommend it to people who are intrigued by those things. 

“If you’re into art and want extra experience and something new, it’s really fun,” Purks said.