17 students sign letters of intent

Kate Caranante, Staff Writer

Following an introduction by their coaches, each of the 17 seniors signed their letters of intent to continue their athletic careers at their respective universities Nov. 14. 

“It’s a great feeling to know all the hard work has paid off,” Logan Morrissey, who will be attending the Air Force Academy for basketball, said. 

The students were set up at a table in the Media Center in front of their family, coaches, teammates and friends. Each student gave a speech thanking those that have helped them along their journey. 

“It’s such a relief,” Anna Williams said. “There is so much pressure taken off, knowing where I’m going, what I’m doing and who I’m going to be with.” 

Williams, Kathleen Rice and Sydney Urban all signed scholarships for crew. Williams will be attending the University of North Carolina, Rice will continue her career at the University of Tennesse and Urban will be moving on to the University of Central Florida. 

“It’s such a big relief because I finally know where I’m going and to know that all my hard work is coming to an actual goal,” Rebecca Gibson said.  

Madison White

Six lacrosse players, including Gibson who will be attending Florida Southern College, signed their letters of intent. Daniel Schouler will be playing collegiate lacrosse at the University of Montevallo, and teammates Drew Mayts and Charley Brannan will play at Mercer University and Grove City College, respectively. 

Lexi Ashby will be continuing her path with lacrosse at the University of Florida, while teammate Kristina Longo will be attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.  

“It honestly means the world to me, you really just want to see that end result,” Jack Casey said. “I know the journey is stressful, but you want to make sure that when you’re putting all this time and effort into something. You see it really come to life. Going to such a great school and being able to really show my talent is awesome.”  

Casey will be playing soccer next year at Dartmouth College and Ansley Melendi will be playing soccer at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. 

A trio of baseball players, Gabe Rincones, JD Urso and Leo Oshinski, will be heading to St. Petersburg College, and volleyball player Camryn Vogler will be attending Florida Atlantic University.  

“I’m just happy that I’ve managed to maintain my passion for it because a couple of years ago I wasn’t even thinking I was going to continue swimming, much less continue into college,” senior Alyssa Nagle, who will be attending the Naval Academy, said. “That’s my greatest personal achievement, just continuing to keep my love up for the sport, and I’m beyond grateful to continue it at such an amazing school as the Naval Academy.”