Students host domestic violence awareness event at girls basketball game

Quickly+making+her+way+down+the+court%2C+sophomore+Annika+Johnson+prepares+to+move+towards+the+net+in+the+gym+Jan.+8.+The+girls+are+ranked+No.+1707+nationally.+

Brenna Anderson

Quickly making her way down the court, sophomore Annika Johnson prepares to move towards the net in the gym Jan. 8. The girls are ranked No. 1707 nationally.

The second annual Get Loud — also known as Break the Silence — event to raise awareness about domestic violence will be hosted at the girls basketball game Friday, Jan. 18 at 6:30 p.m.  

During the game, students in the stands will be silent until the ninth point Plant scores, representing that every nine seconds someone is abused by a domestic partner or caregiver according to The Spring of Tampa Bay.  

Get Loud was introduced by a former Robinson IB alum, Katie Cassidy, who worked with juniors Heather McGeachy and Riley Schofner to establish the event here.  

“I thought it was an amazing way to spread awareness about domestic violence because it is really a huge issue that doesn’t get much attention,” McGeachy said. “I was super pumped to be able to help out.”  

McGeachy said she hopes to bring more students to the event and educate more people, along with finding a candidate to pass off the responsibility of planning.  

Schofner is involved with The Spring of Tampa Bay and is on the Youth Action Committee, tasked with educating the community about healthy relationships and how to prevent an unhealthy relationship from developing.  

“I want to show that guys do care about domestic violence,” Schofner said. “Most events I go to I’m the only guy in the room. And we can’t just try to help victims. We need to stop offenders.”