State of the Union address undergoes unnecessary postponement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Donald Trump and Nancy Pelosi decide on Feb. 5 as the new date for the State of the Union address.  It was originally scheduled to be given Jan 29.

Donald Trump and Nancy Pelosi decide on Feb. 5 as the new date for the State of the Union address. It was originally scheduled to be given Jan 29.

Used with permission: Wikimedia Commons

Used with permission: Wikimedia Commons

Used with permission: Wikimedia Commons

Nicole Prus, Staff Writer

Ever since 1790, the State of the Union Address has been given by the president every year. Just the simple fact that the address has been given since that date makes it mind boggling that it has been held back from happening. 

The government shutdown has played a big part in why the address was cancelled. Although the speech was pushed back by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, it is still inconceivable that President Donald Trump refused to give the address unless the government reopened, especially when he was a catalyst for the government closing in the first place due to his demand for a border security wall. 

Trump is acting very unreasonable by postponing such an iconic speech just to get his own way. He needs to get over not getting the funds for his wall and move on to what really matters. 

Yes, security for the U.S. is important, but this wall will not stop security threats from forming. The money for the wall can be applied to so many other significant issues in the U.S. that need serious attention. 

In January, 800,000 federal workers suffered from lack of compensation. The president’s goal should be to carry out processes that help individuals, not harm them. 

According to the Washington Post, “We’re supposed to be doing it, and now Nancy Pelosi – or ‘Nancy,’ as I call her – she doesn’t want to hear the truth,” Trump said. “And she doesn’t want, more importantly, the American people to hear the truth.” 

Trump’s statement shows that he is trying to use Pelosi as a scapegoat for why the address is postponed. He is just making up that she doesn’t want Americans to hear the truth and he is the real reason why it’s cancelled. 

Trump said that it would be wrong to switch to a different venue because it has been a tradition to give the address at the House Chamber. 

It is outrageous that he rather not switch to another location to deliver his address because he does not want to disrupt the history and tradition of the address, yet has the nerve to hold such a crucial address from happening just for his personal gain.  

Every state will be impacted by his decision to postpone the address because the speech serves a purpose to present the country’s problems to Congress. If there is no address, then the problems that should have been discussed will never be solved in an urgent matter. 

Recently, Pelosi and Trump agreed on having the State of the Union address Feb. 5, although there could be a chance it could be moved again if Trump does not get funds for a wall.  

How long can the nation really wait for a State of the Union address to be delivered?