Real news survives changes to journalism

Back to Article
Back to Article

While advancements in the modern world manage to make daily life much easier, they have made discovering the truth more difficult. In spite of this, real news is not without hope.

Used with permission: Pixabay

Used with permission: Pixabay

Used with permission: Pixabay

Riley Schofner, Expressions Editor

The modern world has achieved incredible advancements that have improved daily life in almost every way, such as better healthcare, better communication and better access to information. However, an unsettling phenomenon has confronted the modern world: the rejection of news or the importance of non-important facts. How does the modern journalist report real news?  

Individuals with the most self-righteous opinions are implanting a personal policy to ignore ideas that they don’t agree with and finding the most minute evidence to support their claim. Anti-vaxxers are the best example of this, and their numbers seem to grow every day. The most radical conspiracies of control from the government have been the core principles in the anti-vaxx debate, disregarding any semblance of logical truths.  

Additionally, social media has become such a dominant force that it sways presidential elections, consumer markets and intimate relationships. It has been a wrecking ball to news, with Snapchat articles and BuzzFeed pouring out unimportant drivel.  

The modern journalistic world seems rough. Open positions are falling, and young people who wish to spread the truth are handed quotas for clicks-on ad-filled news pages. However, a simple pursuit can ensure that news will always stay in the hands of those who need it. 

Journalists working with heart will always find and report real news. Real news does not discriminate, and while it may seem less platforms hold true journalists, there are more opportunities than ever. Personal grit is all one needs to show what the truth is. If people want to see how the world is, they will find the reporters who want to, too. Journalism can find a home in the modern world; just look at Netflix documentaries.  

While every day it feels like journalism is a dying breed, it is only a phoenix of words and script that will prevail throughout all time.