Democracy needs no saving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Democracy needs no saving

Democracy persists. While times have changed, the importance of truth and public involvement has remained constant in the preservation of our ideals.

Used with permission: Pixabay

Used with permission: Pixabay

Used with permission: Pixabay

Chloe-Amelie Aikman, Features Editor

In fifth century Athens, citizens throw pebbles into urns to reach a decision. Today, we head to the polls to cast votes. And tomorrow… tomorrow, democracy will endure. Empires have crumbled, countries have faded, borders have ebbed and flowed like the tides beneath the moon. Time may bring rulers to their knees and monuments to dust, but our ideals, our ideas, remain intact.  

Democracy – the rule of the people – stands strong. 

Time cannot erode that which we keep from its reach. Political tension and national controversy of the last years have led some to question if what we hold so dear has escaped us. Investigations, conspiracies, “fake news” and fearful accusations bubble up; people question our reality because ideals, pure in intention, are often muddied in human execution. 

But democracy doesn’t need to be “saved.” Democracy doesn’t need protectors, but champions. It is not meant to be defended, but employed. Its fate is in our hands, because only we can strengthen the translation of principle into action. 

The world needs truth. It needs good journalists. It needs people who will work to preserve a world where information flows freely and minds are unrestricted by superficial constraints and preconceptions. Words are meant to be instruments of truth, not division.  

The power of governing lies with the people, and we can only do our best when we are knowledgeable of our situation. It is the responsibility of the individual to stay aware, to think globally and to listen to alternate perspectives. We need to seek opinions that are not our own, because we can learn from hearing thoughts that haven’t yet crossed our minds.  

We cannot “save” democracy; we can only save ourselves. We can only work so that the lens we see the world through may be a little clearer, and the choices we make a little more well-informed. Democracy is the power of the people, and its fate lies in the hands of the people. 

Truth will preserve it, and we will sustain it.