School board member, state representative review safety measures

Back to Article
Back to Article

Speaking with school board member Stacy Hahn and state representative Jackie Toledo, Principal Johnny Bush gives a tour of the new security implements  Feb. 11. Bush pointed out the new locking gates with a buzzer system and 33 security cameras placed around school.

Speaking with school board member Stacy Hahn and state representative Jackie Toledo, Principal Johnny Bush gives a tour of the new security implements Feb. 11. Bush pointed out the new locking gates with a buzzer system and 33 security cameras placed around school.

Graham Hill

Graham Hill

Graham Hill

Alexis Perno, News Editor

State Rep. Jackie Toledo and Area 2 school board member Stacy Hahn visited Plant to review safety measures implemented since the Parkland High School shooting in Feb. 2018.  

Such measures include locking gates with a buzzer system and 33 security cameras placed around school. Currently, all administrators have access to the cameras. There are also plans for a monitor that would include all camera feeds to be installed in the main office, according to principal Johnny Bush.  

“What they’ve done in the last year is impressive and I wanted to see how they’ve used the tax dollars that we’ve given them,” Toledo said in response to the safety measures. “I’m very impressed with that.” 

Bush showed Toledo and Hahn the front gate, the single-entry access point next to the main office and demonstrated how the electronic car gate and buzzer systems worked.  

Plans are in the works for a speed bump to be constructed right before the entrance of the electronic gate for vehicles, ensuring that more than one car can’t enter the parking lot without being buzzed in by the main office.  

Communications and media officer Grayson Kamm visited and said the district is “paying deep attention” to the issue of school safety and “not just letting this stuff happen.”  

“Security is definitely a top priority and mental health services for our students,” Hahn said. “We absolutely know that students aren’t going to learn if they don’t feel safe. That’s why this was important today, to highlight the security measures that are in place but to also have some really candid conversations with our state legislator Jackie Toledo about funding and what we need to make sure we can continue to keep our schools safe.”