System dupes students

Katie Valenti, Staff Writer

College Board has been providing students with an unfair, superficial, corruptible system of getting people into college. It focuses on certain superficial elements of students that don’t portray how they apply their knowledge for future success. They only determine one’s ability through test taking, not leadership skills, handling conflicts, work ethic or personal qualities. 

There can be a straight-A student actively involved in the community and leadership with a 4.0 GPA, yet if they don’t get above a 1300, their college and scholarship selection is reduced to below their ability. Opportunities, resources and one of the most important time in one’s life, college, are established from one test day, ignoring the four years of high school. 

AP classes do facilitate student’s GPA and prepares him or her for collegestyle classes, but not all schools offer AP classes to certain students. The SAT, although it does create a standard set of comparing students, does not predict how well one will do in their career. Yet the only thing the SAT is determining is the outrageous standards of schools and requirements for scholarships. 

From the recent celebrity college scandal, College Board’s legitimacy and “fairness” in testing is now a joke. Over 50 people beat the “standardized” system that prevents students with real intelligence and extracurriculars from getting into a school they can excel in.  

After this dishonor from College Board, the resources they provide that allegedly enhance students’ education are an utterly false statement they live by.