Students receive abundant opportunities

Isabella Ank, Co-Print Editor in Chief

Since its foundation at the end of the 19th century, College Board has provided American students countless opportunities in pursuing a higher education. Though some critics argue that its power is “monopolistic,” this is necessary to ensure fairness in testing.  

The standard set by College Board is an effective way to measure and compare students against one another. In recent times, the SAT has been demonized, citing a bias against students who may not be able to afford tutoring.  

However, the College Board has taken steps to close this gap; they partnered with Khan Academy to create free, official practice tests for the SAT. This way, those who can’t afford a private tutor can still have access to a valuable resource that will help them achieve a higher score. 

By practicing on Khan Academy, students are also eligible to win a $1,000 scholarship. This isn’t the only scholarship College Board offers; students may also earn scholarships through completing the FAFSA form and improving their SAT score by 100 points.  

Besides measuring students, College Board also helps them prepare for a higher education through Advanced Placement classes. These classes also allow students to earn credits if they pass the AP exam. For students who struggle to afford college, earning credits in high school is crucial to not spending their lives in debt.  

Overall, College Board has benefited students by providing opportunities, from financial help to offering challenging courses, to help students grow.