Boys lacrosse lose in playoffs

Kate Caranante, Sports Editor

• Passing the ball, senior Connor Stoltzfoos warms up for the game at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinal. There were 14 seniors on the team this year.

• Warming up, freshman Graham Gataky waits for the ball to be passed to him at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. The boys lacrosse team lost 10-5, ending their season.

• Drenching himself with water, sophomore Wyatt Knust runs to his position of goalie at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. This year was Knust’s second year as goalie.

• Playing offense, freshman Anthony Longo avoids an opponent at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. The game ended in a 10-5 loss.

• Strategizing with the team, coach Todd Francis leads the team through the game at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. The team came up short with a score of 10-5 which ended their run in the upcoming districts games.

• Running with the ball, freshman Hayden Stoltzfoos plays offense at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. The team had 14 freshmen on the team.

• Running to switch positions, senior Connor Stoltzfoos and sophomore Ryker Farrior dash to the sidelines at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. The boys lacrosse team ended their run in the district games with this 10-5 loss.

• Cradling the ball in his lacrosse stick, senior Drew Mayts avoids an opponent at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. This was the last game of the season for the boys lacrosse team.

• Playing defense, sophomore Zack Antoniu hits his opponent at Jesuit High School March 16 at the district semifinals. The final score of the game was 10-5, ending the team’s district run.

• Looking to pass, freshman Graham Gataky prepares to make a move at Jesuit High School March 16. Gataky played defense for the varsity team.

• Eyes downfield, freshman Jonathan Kerr passes the ball at Jesuit High School March 16. The boys varsity lacrosse team lost to Jesuit 10-5 in their final game of the season.

• Heading around the goal, senior Dow Walker looks for an open shot March 16 at Jesuit High School. The boys varsity lacrosse team lost to Jesuit High School 10-5, which ended their district run.

• Defending the goal, Will Nunn prepares to hit his opponent with his stick March 16 at Jesuit Highschool. Nunn joined the varsity lacrosse team in his sophomore year.

• Running down the field, sophomore Zack Antoniou makes a move past the defense at Jesuit High School March 16. Antoniou joined the varsity lacrosse team his freshman year.

• Defending the goal, senior Charley Brannan attempts to get the ball Jesuit High School March 16. The boys varsity lacrosse team lost to Jesuit High School 10-5.

• Running downfield, freshman Hayden Stoltzfoos breaks away from the defense at Jesuit High School March 16. The boys varsity team lost 10-5 to Jesuit High School in their first and last district game of the season.

The boy’s lacrosse team was eliminated by Jesuit High School in the first round of districts April 15 at Alumni Field.  

“We didn’t lose to a public school all year, and we just came up against some people that match our talent,” head coach Todd Francis said. “We just didn’t step up at times we had to, but I think we outplayed our ability very often.”  

As the first quarter came to an end, the boys were trailing 2-0 until senior George Tompson scored on a fast break rip into the back of the net, putting them on the board. 

“Scoring the goal in the playoff games was one of the coolest moments of the season because of how much the game mattered to us,” Tompson said.  

At the beginning of the second quarter, sophomore Christian Murphy did a roll dodge around his defender and scored on a bounce shot, tying the game at 2-2. Jesuit went on to score three goals in a row until freshman Anthony Longo disrupted their run by scoring on a low corner. With the score at 5-3, Jesuit scored two more times. 

Before Jesuit could go on another run, freshman Johnathan Kerr scored, followed by a goal from Mercer signee Drew Mayts to the top right shelf.  

“It was a great feeling to help my team out at a time when we needed some momentum,” Mayts said. “I feel like this season was one that has ups and downs, but I am proud of us for never giving up.” 

With the score at 7-5 Jesuit began to run down the clock and then scored three goals as time expired making the final 10-5.  

“I really wanted to see how we could respond to what [Jesuit] did to us last time,” Francis said. “We had a great last week in practice, a great game last game, and we knew what we were coming into. We had to execute, and they just executed better than we did.” 

The boys went 10-6 this season and went 3-0 in the district. The team was led by their seven seniors, two of whom are moving on to play collegiate lacrosse at Mercer and Garden City College respectively.  

“As a whole this was my favorite season I’ve coached here at Plant High School,” Francis said. “The senior class is amazing. I think they did everything that we asked them to do.”